28mm or 35mm Summicron? Oh the decision...

Life By Stills

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I have been umming and ahhing for a while, and thought I'd come to see what people's opinions might be. There's no right or wrong answers to this - I just wanted to see what people's opinions might be to help me make a decision.

I am at home shooting with either 28mm or 35mm (I have a Q2, and use a Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 on my M10-R). Ignoring what I have at the moment (I am happy with what I have, but I just want to treat myself to a new lens! lol) - I am trying to decide which Summicron to get - if you were able to simply pick either a Summicron-M 28mm f/2 or a 35mm f/2, which one would you pick and why?

Looking forward to hearing your views. Many thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Decimusmaximus7 said:

I loved 35mm until one day, in a museum, my back hit the wall and I couldn’t get the shot, so I have defaulted to 28mm since.

But even then, I am currently trying to decide between either the 1946-1960: Leitz 3.5cm f/3.5 Summaron or the 1958-1974: Leitz 35mm f/2.8 Summaron to complete a 60s era set.

LOL yes, I have been there and done that and then wish I had my Q2 with me if I only had my M lol. It might not seem a lot just from reading numbers, but boy is that 7mm difference really vital sometimes!

I would go for a 50.
The 28/2 v2 is a wonderful lens but then so is the the 28 on your Q. The current 35/2  ASPH non APO is a very good lens but not significantly better than your summarit. You will be bored with both options in about a month. A 50 will keep you in the zone visually but will force you to start isolating things and also actually start using depth of field as a creative tool. 

• Like 3

I use the Summicrons in many focal lengths, and so long that I can not decide which is only one to use, it's a pity.

As side move, OP I'd give a chance to Elmarit-M 2.8/28mm asph. as small/light companion to the (also) very nice Summarit-M 2.5/35mm.

I use them all and each is great BUT not universal use or "perfect" (= meaning nothing for me).

• Like 3

So you got the itch! Given your current gear I'd go for something longer than a 35, either a 50 or if you wanted to really stretch yourself, a 75. Why - you already have the wide end well covered (for most purposes). The addition of a longer focal length will open a different set of perspectives for you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kwesi said:

I would go for a 50.
The 28/2 v2 is a wonderful lens but then so is the the 28 on your Q. The current 35/2  ASPH non APO is a very good lens but not significantly better than your summarit. You will be bored with both options in about a month. A 50 will keep you in the zone visually but will force you to start isolating things and also actually start using depth of field as a creative tool. 

20 hours ago, rramesh said:

You have both a 28 and a 35. Try something different. A 50 or even a 75 for those nice full frame portraits. 

6 hours ago, spydrxx said:

So you got the itch! Given your current gear I'd go for something longer than a 35, either a 50 or if you wanted to really stretch yourself, a 75. Why - you already have the wide end well covered (for most purposes). The addition of a longer focal length will open a different set of perspectives for you.

Thanks @Kwesi @rramesh and @spydrxx for the suggestion of a 50mm. I had a 50mm which I recently got rid of as I didn't like shooting with it. If I do any portraits, I prefer environmental portraits so the 28mm and 35mm are my preferred lenses. But you know what, I am getting the itch to have a collapsible 50mm, not because I will use it a lot, but because I just want to have a collapsible one for the collection LOL.

So... this may be somewhat of a controversial update... I sold the Q2! I managed to get £3k out of it, and I then I blew the whole lot LOL. So now I have a Summicron-M 28mm (latest version)... but also seeing what some of the replies were saying about delving into the longer focal lengths, I added a 1957 collapsible Elmar 90mm f/4 (which is still sharp as anything), and a 1986 Elmarit-M 135mm (the one with the goggles, although when I had a look at the Wiki, it says it's an "Elmarit-R" despite the lens saying "Elmarit-M" on the front ring around the front element - anyone able to help explain that?) to my collection. Never been a fan of 50mm or 75mm, but I now have the 90mm / 135mm for my portrait work (which I rarely do), 135mm for planes, and 28mm / 35mm for my bread and butter photojournalism.

Edited by Life By Stills

For me, a 28mm f/2.0 is one of my favorite lenses on any camera. The combination of that focal length and the limited depth of field seems very special to me. A 35mm is just not as interesting in virtually any situation.

If I could afford it, I'd buy a 28mm Sumilux and be very happy indeed.

• Like 1

I have both; a 35mm summicron asph v1 and a 28mm summicron asph safari.  Head to head, I prefer the rendering of 28mm summicron on both film and digital (MP and M10-R) and use it far more over the 35mm summicron asph, which although faultless in most practical ways, I find rather bland.  

I mainly use the 28mm as part of a three lens set along with 50mm & 90mm summicrons and the 35mm as an occasional single lens or as a two lens set with the 75mm apo summicron.

When I want something smaller I use a 28mm summaron-m and a 50mm elmar-m, either as a pair or as single lenses where both are at their best (imo) on Portra 400 in good light. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mute-on said:

Neither. I’d get a 28 Elmarit or 28 Summaron. I value smaller size over wider aperture in a 28mm, and prefer 28 over 35. Since you already have a 35 in M mount, the 28 would fill that gap, and give you a one body system. 

Oh yeah, I love the Summaron. Although I decided to go the way of TTArtisan rip off and I have their 28mm f/5.6. It's such a good lens... for a fraction of that price! LOL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I own 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 75mm Leica lenses and will be planning a "walkabout" day for street photography to a local weekend market soon.

Which lens should I use? I think I will attach the 35mm on the camera but will also take along the 75mm in case I wish the subject to be isolated. With a small bag, it can comfortably accommodate a camera with two lenses. This entire combo is lightweight and will be very easy to carry and I should enjoy my photography outing; perhaps with a break to enjoy a nice coffee.

I do not know how the above will impact the OP's decision. Choice of FOV is rather personal and it should fit the purpose it's intended purpose.

Edited by Edwin Ho

On 9/4/2022 at 6:59 AM, Life By Stills said:

I sold the Q2! I managed to get £3k out of it, and I then I blew the whole lot LOL. So now I have a Summicron-M 28mm (latest version)

Brave! Now that you have only one lens in 28mm, you may wish to consider a 75mm FOV instead of a 35mm. IMO, less is more.

Caution, GAS is dangerous 😁.

Edited by Edwin Ho
  • Like 1

I went back to the OP and the question was really between 28 and 35mm; good choice on the 28mm. You can always crop images shot with a 28mm. I used my 28mm less on my M9 because the frame lines were too close to the edges (I use spectacles). But with LV on my M11, I can now compose my shots accurately.

• Like 1