What's your favorite 35mm lens on the M11? Any surprises compared to prior M bodies?

eyeheartny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My APO Summicron 35mm has an almost permanent place mounted to my M11 and M10R before I purchased the M11. It is a fantastic lens/camera combination.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have alwasy been a 50 guy, But since moving to leica I have been using the Cron 2. as a 35 mm and had fun with it.  That being said I think If I had to go from scratch I would get the Lux.

Having a 50 apo and 50 lux I could not justify getting the 35 lux on top of that (yet) so I have been working for a couple of weeks with a voigtlander Nokton 1.2,  The microcontrast and overall IQ is not quite Lux level, but I am absolutely in love with it and end up using it more than the cron.

At 1.2 and 1.4 I get the same effect I like on the 50mm (and 75 or 90mm) Great character isolation and a the same time a wider and very natural frame that keeps more contextual distance to the subject.

At $900 aprox the Nokton is an amazing 35 mm and it’s relative softeness to a cron or apo lens is greatly balanced by it’s elegance and creamy rendering.

Now I have a problem…I want to try the lux to see if it creates the same joy as the 1.2 is giving me.  I simply have not enjoyed 35 mm as much until I had this lens. It speaks to me.

I like the compactness and lightness of the cron, and for street photogrtaphy, architecture and scene capturing it is simply perfect. But for subjects, portraits and ambiance I just need the faster lens. and my paricular style often relies on perspective and DOF play and counterplay.

Edited by S Maclean

• 2 weeks later...
Am 3.9.2022 um 00:06 schrieb eyeheartny:

... what are your favorite 35 mm lenses specifically on the M11?

The same as on any other M camera.

Am 3.9.2022 um 00:06 schrieb eyeheartny:

I know that the BSI sensor, different color science, and higher resolution is going coax slightly different looks/performances out of different lenses.

No.

If you like your lens on any camera then you will equally like it on the Leica M11 (or better).

My favorite Leica 35mm was my Summilux FLE until I got the APO Summicron 35mm f2.0. This is now my standard lens that occupies the hole in the front of my M11 (and M10-R before) 90% of the time. 

Both are great lens, but I'm a sharpness fanatic so I prefer the APO 35mm.

Here are two images shot Saturday at the annual Celtic Festival in Bethlehem, PA, USA. These are both tight crops from the full image.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

Edited by budjames

They are all great in their own way,, I have had the pre asph, the FLE ,and the Summicron asph v2... they were all beautiful in their own way.

now I am waiting for the new FLE and looking forward to the close focus on that. 

I feel the 35 APO really shines on my M11 with great clarity, very threedimensial, sharp corners and good bokeh. And I like the short distance option for certain things.

Here are some images from a recent hike.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/2/2022 at 7:34 PM, eyeheartny said:

How do you feel the FLE holds up in this era? I've seen comments that it needs an update (similar to the 50 Lux ASPH) and that some have speculated an update will be coming later this year for it. I've also seen various comments about it lacking sharpness compared to the 35 APO. I know sharpness isn't everything but am reluctant to spend that much on a lens that isn't outstanding. Curious what your thoughts are since you seem to be a true 35 person like me! 😀

Leica is updating the FLE with a new focusing mount, making it possible to focus closer (about a foot) using the electronic viewfinder, but is NOT updating the optical formula of the FLE(II).  It is an outstanding lens.  If close focusing is important to you, wait for the new version, but if you are fine with .7 meter close focusing, buy any FLE II.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:01 PM, sdk said:

... The only issue with 3rd party or uncoded lenses is that the M11 does not always keep auto lens detection off. If you swap lenses, it can default back to auto lens detection, and if it sees a coded lens, then an uncoded lens it defaults to a 21mm/2.8 profile, which does not seem to negatively impact image quality, but is annoying. 

In my M10-R the camera defaults to the WATE, even if no lens had been used with that profile after some lens changes, and that again triggers Lightroom to apply correction from its profiles (pincusion distortion is INTRODUCED) That is very very annoying. It even happens when none such lens was used (remember on the M8 we coded WA’s like the SW Heliar 15mm as WATE so I do have several coded that way).

Edited by Alberti