28 2.8 Elmarit (v2): do you recommend using the lens hood?

Robert Blanko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Howdy,

I just acquired an M 28 2.8 Elmarit V2 which - as usual - came with the rather bulky metal lens hood. The package also included a small threaded metal ring to protect the hood thread of the lens and a metal lens cap.

Regarding the size, the latter matches the small size of the lens much better IMHO.

The only question is: is the lens hood recommended / necessary for common use to avoid flares (usually, I avoid excessive direct sunbeams hitting the front lens)?

Any experience?

2 hours ago, pippy said:

IMO? Yes. Always. Then again; I always also use a filter so perhaps my requirements are different from those of other people?

Philip.

I have the latest ASPH version not the V2, but I also always use both the hood and a filter.  I don't know that the Elmarit V2 is particularly flare-prone, but I don't see much of a downside to using the hood - the lens is pretty tiny either way. 

If you don't want to use the hood because of the size, then try shooting for a while without it and see what happens.  If you experience flare then use the hood.  If not then don't.  I'd at least stick a good quality clear or UV filter on the lens if you don't use the hood in order to protect the front element.

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb logan2z:

I have the latest ASPH version not the V2, but I also always use both the hood and a filter.  I don't know that the Elmarit V2 is particularly flare-prone, but I don't see much of a downside to using the hood - the lens is pretty tiny either way. 

I actually meant the latest version. I thought V1 would be the previous version and V2 the current version. However, this does not seem to be correct… 🫢

11 minutes ago, logan2z said:

If you don't want to use the hood because of the size, then try shooting for a while without it and see what happens.  If you experience flare then use the hood.  If not then don't.  I'd at least stick a good quality clear or UV filter on the lens if you don't use the hood in order to protect the front element.

I can't keep the versions straight either, the one I have is model # 11677.  Not sure if that's considered V2 or something else :) I thought I'd seen it referred to somewhere as V4 but I might be mistaken.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, 28framelines said:

Does adding the filter require the hood, aka, does it add flare or something?

Using a filter simply puts the front-most plane of glass further forward on the lens-unit (for want of a better term). With no filter there is a small amount of 'contra-flare' protection due to the front element of the lens being recessed a short distance into the body of the lens. Screw a filter on, however, and all shielding from stray light sources has gone. Use of a hood will help significantly in the reduction of any possible flare.

The 28 Elmarit isn't especially prone to having problems with flare but IMX there certainly have been circumstances when use of a hood was beneficial.

Philip.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I can't keep the versions straight either, the one I have is model # 11677.  Not sure if that's considered V2 or something else :) I thought I'd seen it referred to somewhere as V4 but I might be mistaken.

Partly the problem is that some folks use a version number chronologically without distinction between the earlier non-ASPH versions (v1 to v4?) and these later lenses.

In general if we are talking about the ASPH lenses we tend to start with the v1 : i.e. 11606. The v2 is 11677.

Hope that helps!

Philip.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, pippy said:

Partly the problem is that some folks use a version number chronologically without distinction between the earlier non-ASPH versions (v1 to v4?) and these later lenses.

In general if we are talking about the ASPH lenses we tend to start with the v1 : i.e. 11606. The v2 is 11677.

Hope that helps!

Philip.

That does help, thanks.  Looks like I have a v2 after all :) 

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 1