New Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.5.0) and SL2-S (v.4.0)

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@GDB there's quite a few difference between post keystone correction vs Shift lens :

Shift lens:
- easier framing 
- parralele DOF  between the plan of sensor/ plan of lens/ plan of subject : which can be very important or not depending on focal , aperture, and subject   ( I I I )
- No lens CA correction
- No lens distorsion correction (which can be tricky with the 17tse for exemple) 
- Ibis not working well

Post keystone correction:
- Full lens correction ( CA+distorsion+all the rest)
- Autofocus
- IBIS
- "Glancing" Dof which mean the plan of sensor and plan of lens is parralle but not with the subject in case of a building   ( \ \ I )  

On 9/7/2022 at 5:08 AM, gdb said:

Leica corrected this problem at its very root : we take archiectural pictures by moving the angle of the camera. The SL2 measures this angle at the time you shoot, corrects the picture with this data. That's the clever "gimmick" if I may say. Congratulations to those who developed this new firmware.

I'm very glad to see that I no longer need to spend my money on a T-S Lens, which has no zoom, no automatic features, etc... I can do all that with the 24-90mm,  avoid switching lenses (and need to remove dust from my pictures) and relieve weight from my already too heavy bag !

This is never going to replace Tilt shift lenses if you ask me...

here are a few points.

24mm is often not wide enough and activating LPC is going to crop in even more. 

LPC is not available in FOTOS app. 90% of the time I will do multiple exposure on a commercial shoot to het different exposures, lighting, colors for composition later.
It is key to keep camera perfectly still and untouched to reduce misalignment issues. Often and interior Architecture image is composed by 30 frames.
The Fotos app can help change setting without any touch.

LPC does not work in video mode. Tilt shift lenses are used in movies too.

It is true some canon TS-E  lenses have distortion , they need to be super wide angle with a large image circle . but they are rectilinear too.

Longer lenses TS-E offer macro mode and focus control by tilting the plane. this is also used in portrait to isolate the subject in creative ways.

when Using LPC pixel shift will no longer work. no Multishot. other options like Histogram are disabled too.

What I find the most annoying part of LPC is the over correction. Sometime it just goes crazy. and most of all it is good taste in architectural photography to have a little conversion when I tower is in the shot for a more natural look. this days architects don't want their photos all strait.

Lastly  this option is useful in Lightroom , and many professional prefer the control of color in C1P where this option is not available at this point.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:25 PM, Photoworks said:

This is never going to replace Tilt shift lenses if you ask me...

here are a few points.

24mm is often not wide enough and activating LPC is going to crop in even more. 

LPC is not available in FOTOS app. 90% of the time I will do multiple exposure on a commercial shoot to het different exposures, lighting, colors for composition later.
It is key to keep camera perfectly still and untouched to reduce misalignment issues. Often and interior Architecture image is composed by 30 frames.
The Fotos app can help change setting without any touch.

LPC does not work in video mode. Tilt shift lenses are used in movies too.

It is true some canon TS-E  lenses have distortion , they need to be super wide angle with a large image circle . but they are rectilinear too.

Longer lenses TS-E offer macro mode and focus control by tilting the plane. this is also used in portrait to isolate the subject in creative ways.

when Using LPC pixel shift will no longer work. no Multishot. other options like Histogram are disabled too.

What I find the most annoying part of LPC is the over correction. Sometime it just goes crazy. and most of all it is good taste in architectural photography to have a little conversion when I tower is in the shot for a more natural look. this days architects don't want their photos all strait.

Lastly  this option is useful in Lightroom , and many professional prefer the control of color in C1P where this option is not available at this point.

Good points.

One significant advantage of LPC is that it can also be used handheld. Also, LPC corrections can be tuned in the post, e.g., one can select to use only leveling or reduce the amount of correction.

Installed the new firmware to my SL2 today.

Now I can’t turn on the Bluetooth and connect the camera  tho the Leica Photo app.

Have tried to reset the camera.

Have been in contact with my local Leica store. They want me to send them the camera, but I would try to ask her 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I installed FW5.0 with no issues.

Yesterday I noticed that the reported image number on Play reset once SD2 (Storage as SD1+SD2) was being used. The actual file numbers are still contiguous from L00001 etc.
I just use this reported image number as a guide when shooting a sequence of sets.
I don't recall this change previously. This is an observation not a problem for me. Has anyone else noticed this change or is it simply faulty recall by me?

To ODD, re Fotos.

You need to delete the Fotos application, redownload and reinstall it. There is an earlier thread on this. 

On 9/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, odd said:

Installed the new firmware to my SL2 today.

Now I can’t turn on the Bluetooth and connect the camera  tho the Leica Photo app.

Have tried to reset the camera.

Have been in contact with my local Leica store. They want me to send them the camera, but I would try to ask her 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

I updated my SL2-s firmware to v4.0 via foto apps but there are two problems :

1. Perspective control is greyed out and does not work

2. Battery draining crazy fast, about 1/6 in ten minutes playing round the menu, with Bluetooth turned off.

Has anyone experienced this, or there is a solution to this.

thank you.

Updated to v4.0 on my SL2-S via Fotos app, with exporting profiles to card and importing them afterwards, and everything seemed to go well but I lost my "Favourites" and what I had excluded from the FN buttons. No big deal, but I'm trying to add my favourite "Favourites" back in, and there is no option to add Live View Settings-->>Exposure Preview (P-A-S / P-A-S-M) to the favourites menu... I could swear this was possible before the update?? Perhaps I am going crazy.. Anyway, would be great to be able to add this to "Favourites" as it is fairly deep into the main menu and annoying to find. I don't need to change it enough to burn a FN button on it, but whenever I need to change it, I don't want to go hunting through the menus for it...

Edit: I see that the FN button list control is new, so it didn't forget my previous settings. Bravo! I believe that was one of my previous gripes.

Edited by matted

Just updated both the SL2 & SL2-S.  Despite saving my settings prior to the update, everything wiped out, every update it's the same story. I had to set up both cameras from scratch. Also image numbering gets reset to zero, a real PITA.

18 hours ago, michali said:

Just updated both the SL2 & SL2-S.  Despite saving my settings prior to the update, everything wiped out, every update it's the same story. I had to set up both cameras from scratch. Also image numbering gets reset to zero, a real PITA.

Easy way round that - use a different card to update the software. If there are no photos on your everyday card, take one before doing the update. Update camera using different card, sort settings according to taste and circumstances, put your original card back in and take a shot. It should then carry on numbering from the previous shot.

John

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, michali said:

I think it is good to start over. few times after updating the firmware I had problems. Some issue of the changes made in the new version with the setting of the profiles.

I now make new profiles every time a mayor updates has come out.

I am sad to see that new future can not be added to favorites, like prospective control. maybe in the next update.

few people have asked me how I set up the camera so I made a video of it, nothing fancy, but maybe some people find it useful .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Shawn30:

After updating to v.5 my Sigma 105mm macro has a funny shutter sound. The shutter sounds slow but the pictures aren’t affected. Is anyone having issues with their Sigma lens’s on v.5?

I observed this strange shutter sound sometimes using iAF independent of the firmware version. 

• Thanks 1