New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Huss said:

I hate the gaffer tape look and find it so pretentious, as if that makes any difference.  If anything it attracts more attention.  Why does he have tape?  Is it worth something?

I feel that for some of these people they think it puts them in the 'serious Leica photographer' club.  Unlike the others who are poseurs..

You think using an MA or MP that doesn't have any lettering on it makes it inconspicuous?  Puh-leeeze.

And rant mode off!  Whatever floats your boat. ;)

Cover the Leica M6 logo with tape to be inconspicuous, wear a ball cap with Leica script and a “I shoot film” t-shirt. Yeah, no one is going to know.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, madNbad said:

You could buy a roll of gaffers' tape and a "I shoot film" t-shirt in the meantime.

Already have the gaffer's tape. Great for taping up black plastic sheeting over windows in the darkroom.  It's also great for removing paint from window frames 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Mine arrived last week - it's just too beautiful to resist (it really is a lovely thing!)

I was seriously tempted. But I was strong and resisted temptation - I don't need another camera. But then I found my left hand, on the quiet, had ordered a MP black paint (you lose control of your body as you get older). Red Dot Cameras tell me it may arrive in January. At least I won't have red dot bling to angst about.

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, logan2z said:

Have to agree.  One of the photographers in the 'Why the M6?' video recently put out by the owners of Leica Store San Francisco has bits of his M6 covered with gaffer's tape and I think it looks awful.

Only just got around to looking at this, turned it off after a couple of minutes what utter pretentious cr*p, didn't see a good photo in the video (as far as I got). Maybe I'm just too old to get it.

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I was seriously tempted. But I was strong and resisted temptation - I don't need another camera. But then I found my left hand, on the quiet, had ordered a MP black paint (you lose control of your body as you get older). Red Dot Cameras tell me it may arrive in January. At least I won't have red dot bling to angst about.

Blasphemy!  Blasphemy, I say!  Everyone needs another M camera!

• Haha 1

If I was in the market for another I’d buy an MP. It’s basically the same camera, but the button rewind is far more satisfactory from an engineering standpoint, plus it will brass nicely over time. I already have an M6 from yesteryear, and the ‘zincness’ really bugs me. Almost enough for me to trade it up to a secondhand MP.

7 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

If I was in the market for another I’d buy an MP. It’s basically the same camera, but the button rewind is far more satisfactory from an engineering standpoint, plus it will brass nicely over time. I already have an M6 from yesteryear, and the ‘zincness’ really bugs me. Almost enough for me to trade it up to a secondhand MP.

At least you don't get the zincness with the new one (brass top plate). 

If anyone has a chance to visit Wetzlar, could they swing by the archives and find out once and for all why they decided to put the model engraving on the M5 and CL, and red dot on the M4-P?

In a wonderful parallel universe, the M4-2, M4-P, M6, M7, M8, M9, M240, M10, and M11 would have had “Leica” engraved on the top plate, and no front engraving or red dot!

Edited by raizans

24 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

Precisely!

I’m glad to see the second hand value of the zinc M6 continues to increase; maybe time to pull the plug. Zinc is a dreadful element unless you want to offer it up sacrificially, eg on a ship in salty water.

It was those zinc top plates that kept Leica making rangefinder cameras long after everyone else abandoned them. From the late 1970s until 1999 when the F4/5 and other autofocus cameras were dominating, Leica continued with a slow but steady trickle of M4-Ps then the M6 followed by the TTL. Bringing back the brass top plate (not to mention black paint) brought new buyers to Leica.

32 minutes ago, raizans said:

If anyone has a chance to visit Wetzlar, could they swing by the archives and find out once and for all why they decided to put the model engraving on the M5 and CL, and red dot on the M4-P?

In a wonderful parallel universe, the M4-2, M4-P, M6, M7, M8, M9, M240, M10, and M11 would have had “Leica” engraved on the top plate, and no front engraving or red dot!

I love the beautiful Leica script engraved on the left side of the top plate on my M-P 240 Safari and on the titanium M-A (which I missed out on 😢 ).  IMHO, Leica should gift this engraving to all M cameras going forward from here.  It would be a nice a connection to the M camera's heritage, going all the way back to the M3 which had this top plate engraving.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

I love the beautiful Leica script engraved on the left side of the top plate on my M-P 240 Safari.  IMHO, Leica should gift this engraving to all M cameras going forward from here.  It would be a nice a connection to the M camera's heritage, going all the way back to the M3 which had this top plate engraving.

Leica can’t do that.  All the cameras they make are basically the same thing and little things like engravings, paint etc is how they are able to charge more for ‘special’ versions.

😜

• Like 2

Looks like everyone should factory order their "M" and then have as an option of script (and location), or red dot, or nothing....or or or ....perhaps go back to the old days and have a brass/metal/whatever emblem put on the bottom plate stating where it was bought at! 

• Like 2