New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/4/2022 at 2:40 AM, Mr.Prime said:

There are so many old serviceable film cameras out there why all this talk about somebody needing to step up at all?

Well, sooner, or rather later, those are going to run out. 

Meanwhile, Pentax is rumoured to perhaps coming up with a new film body, as well as developing repair services. 

https://pentaxrumors.com/2022/12/19/breaking-news-pentax-is-starting-a-new-film-project-that-could-include-the-release-of-a-new-film-camera/#more-15086

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jukka said:

Well, sooner, or rather later, those are going to run out. 

Meanwhile, Pentax is rumoured to perhaps coming up with a new film body, as well as developing repair services. 

https://pentaxrumors.com/2022/12/19/breaking-news-pentax-is-starting-a-new-film-project-that-could-include-the-release-of-a-new-film-camera/#more-15086

More than just a rumour - that looks like an official announcement by Ricoh that they will develop a film camera under the Pentax brand. OTOH the form factor looks speculative and any launch date is likely to be a long way off - it's a statement of intent.

• Like 1

As the days and weeks tick by my initial decision to buy one is weakening and as my annoyance with Leica at being unable to provide a camera or any clue when they are going to be available, I am less and less likely to buy one.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Looking at the pictures of the new M6.  It's just too beautiful to resist. 😅

That, and the fact that it is making me think that I need to get back to shooting and developing film, as well as making black and white film based prints.

All good reasons, especially the last two :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

That, and the fact that it is making me think that I need to get back to shooting and developing film, as well as making black and white film based prints.

It is a beautiful camera, no doubt.  

Not sure if I would rush to spend 40,000 Euros on lenses for it.  

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Mine arrived last week - it's just too beautiful to resist (it really is a lovely thing!)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Mine arrived last week - it's just too beautiful to resist (it really is a lovely thing!)

I keep waffling between the new M6 and a BP MP.  Both very different aesthetically. 

I'm not usually one for a red dot on my Leicas and I don't love the big 'Leica M6' branding (I know, a little gaffer's tape will fix that), and my least favorite features of my M4 are the angled rewind crank and the articulating advance lever, so those features of the M6 don't excite me.  But I do like the M6's finish and the simple top-plate engraving more than the script engraving on the MP.  Both cameras seem difficult to get so there's no advantage there one way or the other. 

The other alternative is to simply be happy with the Leica film cameras I already have, but where's the fun in that... ;)

Edited by logan2z
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I keep waffling between the new M6 and a BP MP.  Both very different aesthetically. 

I'm not usually one for a red dot on my Leicas and I don't love the big 'Leica M6' branding (I know, a little gaffer's tape will fix that), and my least favorite features of my M4 are the angled rewind crank and the articulating advance lever, so those features of the M6 don't excite me.  But I do like the M6's finish and the simple top-plate engraving more than the script engraving on the MP.  Both cameras seem difficult to get so there's no advantage there one way or the other. 

The other alternative is to simply be happy with the Leica film cameras I already have, but where's the fun in that... ;)

Difficult decisions!

My son has a lovely MP from around 2000 - but I wouldn't dream of putting gaffer tape on any camera (first rule in camera theft school is "If it has tape hiding something then steal it") but I hear you on the rewind crank! I kind of feel that the revitalised supply lines/electronics/mechanics are attractions for the M6. 

2 minutes ago, logan2z said:

I wouldn't do it either, but I figured someone would suggest that as a remedy for the red dot and the 'Leica M6' engraving ;) 

The red dot is fine (and unusual in saying Leitz) and the engraving is pretty inoffensive as well (nice I think) . . . .but gaffer tape looks bad when it's fresh, and terrible when it isn't!

• Thanks 1

I have an MP, M2 and M4-P, I much prefer the ergonomics of the MP and M2 for the advance lever and rewind crank so much so that I sold an M6 (that had a black Leica logo) to fund my MP. I think it's great that Leica have re-launched an up to date M6 for all of you that prefer the tilted rewind and articulating advance lever and I think there is a place for both M6 and MP even for those that insist on guessing exposure the MA. I'm not fussed enough about the red do to do anything about it, it is what it is I have 3 M9s 2 with red dots and one with a black one no gaffer tape needed or used they're just how they are.

I thank Leica for providing for each and every taste in M bodies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

but gaffer tape looks bad when it's fresh, and terrible when it isn't!

Have to agree.  One of the photographers in the 'Why the M6?' video recently put out by the owners of Leica Store San Francisco has bits of his M6 covered with gaffer's tape and I think it looks awful.

• Like 1

I hate the gaffer tape look and find it so pretentious, as if that makes any difference.  If anything it attracts more attention.  Why does he have tape?  Is it worth something?

I feel that for some of these people they think it puts them in the 'serious Leica photographer' club.  Unlike the others who are poseurs..

You think using an MA or MP that doesn't have any lettering on it makes it inconspicuous?  Puh-leeeze.

And rant mode off!  Whatever floats your boat. ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

In the flesh it looks even better.  The matte black looks so rich and deep.  Much nicer IMO than black chrome or BP - which I both have.

• Like 1