New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just spoke with my Leica dealer, where I pre-ordered an M6, and it's looking like a long wait.  They have not received even a single camera yet. I was told that based on the number of pre-orders, and the rate at which film M's have been received over the past several years, the wait may be on the order of 'years'.  At least I'm somewhere on the list, LOL.  I was also told that the demand for the M6 Reissue is 'unprecedented'.  Strangely, this makes me happy (about the future of film photography).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mshchem said:

Just received a note from Samy's manager of E commerce. NO ETA ON NEW M6. My all caps. I am guessing middle of December for the privileged few, February for the rest of us (me).

Ok, so how long before the privileged few are flipping these on eBay for a profit to impatient buyers who want the camera in time for the holidays? 

• 3 weeks later...

I have registered my email with Leica, for news of any stock. I don’t need one, I’ve had no issues with my M3 and M4, so there’s really no rush or desperation. I can’t possibly justify it, so I won’t even attempt to do so, it’s simply a case of the heart wants what the heart wants 😐

But once you’ve made the decision to buy, it all of a sudden becomes urgent and quite disheartening to see a lack of a a reliable timeline from the manufacturer; It naturally creates doubts.

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 12:58 PM, logan2z said:

Ok, so how long before the privileged few are flipping these on eBay for a profit to impatient buyers who want the camera in time for the holidays? 

No-one wanted my spare new, unused, never opened M6 at MSRP!!

Edited by Huss
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 7:30 PM, mshchem said:

Reminds me a bit of the newest Corvettes, people flipping and making a bit extra. Sounds like a way to get audited. 

We shall see. MP with a tilted rewind. Still, a darn beautiful camera. 

You should see how people buy rolex watches...either spend tens of thousands of dollars with an authorized dealer (you can't just buy the one you want, they expect you to buy multiple other models in addition) or pay over MSRP with a rolex 'middle dealer' (essentially someone who buys rolex watches to resell) by around 30-50%...it's a racket but it is what it is...

Edited by cj3209

On 11/8/2022 at 8:04 PM, Danner said:

I was also told that the demand for the M6 Reissue is 'unprecedented'.  Strangely, this makes me happy (about the future of film photography).

It's certainly good news from the point of view of Leica being committed to building and repairing M film cameras (and, as a film M user, that's something worth having) but the number of cameras involved means it has no bearing on the future of film photography more generally (labs, lab equipment, chemicals, film manufacture, etc.).

• Like 1

I suspect the limited availability of the M6 is attributable to Leica's staff capacity, not scale of production facilities. Assembling and testing the M6 is surely still a craft and skill based activity, not a simple production line. Of course Leica can take on new staff and train them up, but the trend of the last couple of decades has been for young employees to move from job to job rather than staying in a job for life. I'm sure that an apprentice at Leica would be highly valued elsewhere. This must make for slow progress in increasing capacity for the M6. I wonder how many staff Leica has with the skill to do the critical assembly elements. (What would they be? rangefinder? shutter?)

Armchair CEO (retd).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wattsy said:

It's certainly good news from the point of view of Leica being committed to building and repairing M film cameras (and, as a film M user, that's something worth having) but the number of cameras involved means it has no bearing on the future of film photography more generally (labs, lab equipment, chemicals, film manufacture, etc.).

Yup, due to large volumes of manufacturing in past decades, there is no shortage of film bodies at the moment. However, if no other manufacturer, in addition to Leica, starts producing them again, there might not be analogue photography in fifty years time.

16 minutes ago, jukka said:

Yup, due to large volumes of manufacturing in past decades, there is no shortage of film bodies at the moment. However, if no other manufacturer, in addition to Leica, starts producing them again, there might not be analogue photography in fifty years time.

I don't think you have cause to worry as I have just shot a roll of 120 film in a 1916 camera. We have a little while yet 🙂 .

6 minutes ago, Matlock said:

I don't think you have cause to worry as I have just shot a roll of 120 film in a 1916 camera.

Don't see hipsters in fifty years shooting anything from 1916 :) 

7 minutes ago, Matlock said:

We have a little while yet 🙂 .

Sure we do, but if no new ones are made, sooner or later the old ones are going to run out.

• Like 1

What will be precision camera without trained repairers ?

Trained repairers like in mechanic watch world desappeared but watch companies  trained them for future.

This was some decades ago.

Precision mechanic can be handle by machines, but so many jobs must be worked out by human's hands.

I hope that young people can be trained for camera repairs.

Why not by Leica factory  as the only present mechanical camera maker.

Even if they quit the Leica factory, the craftmanship can be valorized as individual or as repair company.

My thinking is that the new release M6 could be new manufacture method to be used now and in future.

Happily Leica Camera believe in film.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

My thinking is that the new release M6 could be new manufacture method to be used now and in future.

Happily Leica Camera believe in film.

Explain your thinking here…. New manufacture method…. And what that means in long run…?

2 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

What will be precision camera without trained repairers ?

Trained repairers like in mechanic watch world desappeared but watch companies  trained them for future.

This was some decades ago.

Precision mechanic can be handle by machines, but so many jobs must be worked out by human's hands.

I hope that young people can be trained for camera repairs.

Why not by Leica factory  as the only present mechanical camera maker.

Even if they quit the Leica factory, the craftmanship can be valorized as individual or as repair company.

Being a camera technician is not as sexy as a tik-tok/youtube influencer or real estate/investment professional (ie., bitcoin) - that's whats going on with young people (I have a young adult son).  With time, repairs for items like cameras, watches, etc. are going to be more expensive (a watch CLA/repair can easily go for $400+, and that's now).

21 minutes ago, lmans said:

Explain your thinking here…. New manufacture method…. And what that means in long run…?

I can not.

Just guessing 😉 in fact, nothing precise.

In long run, or short run good for film user that Leica launched in 2022 new film camera.

Sorry.