New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So it sounds like a few cameras are actually being sold. That's good news. I would like to think that if there's a market, and Leica is making money, (hopefully), that Leica can fill the pre-orders before the coming winter solstice 🙂.  

it's been so long since we have had a new film camera launch, I haven’t bought a brand new film camera since 1999 (no shortage of used though)

It sure would be nice if we had an idea of timing. Reminds me of waiting for Christmas when I was a kid. 

14 minutes ago, mshchem said:

So it sounds like a few cameras are actually being sold. That's good news. I would like to think that if there's a market, and Leica is making money, (hopefully), that Leica can fill the pre-orders before the coming winter solstice 🙂.  

it's been so long since we have had a new film camera launch, I haven’t bought a brand new film camera since 1999 (no shortage of used though)

It sure would be nice if we had an idea of timing. Reminds me of waiting for Christmas when I was a kid. 

The superb Kodak Ektar H35 was released a few months ago.  I cannot remember the last time a 1/2 frame 35mm camera was offered for sale new.  (ok outside the incredible Lomo LC-Wide).  No supply chain issues there!

It actually is a very fun sunny day camera.  I highly recommend it.

13 minutes ago, Huss said:

And yet people pay a lot more for monochrom digital Leicas.

Only because there is no real market competition and you have to pay whatever the red dot overlord tells you.

That Kodak half frame though, THAT's some awesome news. I was just reading about it back in September.  $49 on Amazon. Brutally cool.
https://retopro.co/pages/product-1

8 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Only because there is no real market competition and you have to pay whatever the red dot overlord tells you.

That Kodak half frame though, THAT's some awesome news. I was just reading about it back in September.  $49 on Amazon. Brutally cool.
https://retopro.co/pages/product-1

Really fun camera to use.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Huss
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, mshchem said:

That 28mm TT Artisan is a gem. I used it with my new and shiny (silver) M11. Bought my open box from B&H for under 300 US. I was so impressed I bought a 2nd as a backup. It's not a Leica but it's an amazing lens. It's the only China made lens I have.

I love it.  I also have the Summicron 28 v2, and a CV 28 3.5.  I guess I'd crack out the Cron when I need 'the best' but frankly for daylight photography where the 5.6 aperture doesn't matter it is great!  And so tiny!!  Because it is so cheap, I don't worry about protective filters etc

It is not a Summaron copy - just looks like one.  Optically it is its own thing which is good.

Back to the new M6.  What is the delay?  What happened to the claim that Leica is using all new parts so they don't have to worry about supplier issues?  The dealer cannot even give a rough time period for delivery, only some time next year!   Sounds like they are using the same pieces as - shock horror! - the MP..

19 minutes ago, mshchem said:

I need to move to California, we have had nice weather here (Iowa) but it's going to be "darkroom season" soon 

Last week taken with my MP, CV 40 2.8 and C200.

(full disclosure, it is meant to rain the next couple of days)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Huss said:

This video give the clearest look, IMO, of what the matte black paint looks like.
I find the current BP too shiny, and the black chrome a little too thin looking.  This seems to be the perfect balance of the two - nice, rich and deep but not shiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0FmOLu1YDc

I just stumbled on that video last night too.  I wasn't sure about the matte black paint, but that video did make it look good.  So good that my wife said "you should get matte black, not that shiny MP black" :)  What do you know, she does actually listen to my camera ramblings.  I hope she doesn't quiz me on purse and shoe terminology.

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

I just stumbled on that video last night too.  I wasn't sure about the matte black paint, but that video did make it look good.  So good that my wife said "you should get matte black, not that shiny MP black" :)  What do you know, she does actually listen to my camera ramblings.  I hope she doesn't quiz me on purse and shoe terminology.

My wife said the M6 was 'cute' when I showed her options between the three current cameras. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Huss said:

This video give the clearest look, IMO, of what the matte black paint looks like.
I find the current BP too shiny, and the black chrome a little too thin looking.  This seems to be the perfect balance of the two - nice, rich and deep but not shiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0FmOLu1YDc

Wait, so Leica out the M-A frame line lever on this guys M6? That makes sense since they've been putting the M6 R lever on the M-A.

I just now (8AM in the UK, Nov 8 ) - received an email from Leica, UK saying the M6 was "back in stock" and available for purchase.  I had requested to be on their alert list.  I have since decided to purchase it from Leica Miami (trade-in involved) in the USA when we return in December.  But apparently there are some available...

I will believe it when I see it. Hopefully Leica is sitting on a thousand cameras, trickling them out to create marketing chatter. After watching the video from Mathphotograper I'm more convinced than ever I want one of these cameras. 

I'm glad I'm not hooked Porsches, and Rolex watches, not for the lack of dreaming. 🙂