New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Joking aside, I completely agree. The 14312 nylon strap didn't need changing and it's a pity it was discontinued (I bought a spare that will end up on some camera or other). The other great strap is the equally simple and indestructible nylon Nikon AN-4B, the version without aggressive branding. I noticed that the new M6 strap has embossed lettering that mimics the style in some versions of the 14312.

23 hours ago, BradS said:

Yes and no. Maybe not obvious but there may be some buyers who would not buy the MP but will buy the M6 and vice-versa. So by offering the MP and M6 they sell more cameras. (yeah, I know...I can already hear you saying, "but they sell all the MP they make!")...maybe while they're waiting for parts for the MP they can make M6 instead of having the workers buff the floors?

...and another thing... we really do not know that production of M film cameras is a zero sum game. That is, lots of folks seem  to assume that "if they're building M6, they're not building MP"...but that may not be true at all.

but yeah, it might be a zero sum game. but even if it is,  it is advantageous for Leica and for its customers that they offer a variety and it does not imply that they would stop producing the MP...they're different!

I hear you in. that they are different but not measurable so.....  Given that Leica has a production line or two.... and currently they are having hard times getting the camera's off that line.... there is going to come a time where Lecia will have to make some tough decisions. There will be a limited number of units manufactured in any given year and which models to keep to run their batches, might be the thing that knocks off a model. The M6 ain't going away.......the MA too. They just upped to the M11's and Q2s and S's etc.. There just is that rather glaring hole in the continuance of the MP.

Another thing I have wondered is will Leica cut off major retail players and just keep their Leica stores around the world. You want a Leica, you go to the Leica store. I notice that B&H has some Leica products in stock that Miami Leica or San Francisco etc are out of stock on. How long will Leica Stores allow that to continue ? 

Preorder placed through Leica Store Miami (VBG).

This is a big deal to me since I have only purchased a new M-body one time, a TTL in 1999, which I sold when Nikon digital made the scene.  All my other M's have been used.

Edited by Danner

No idea how much it is worth now, but my M6 is from 1995 and came with its original box and documentation. I have it since six years. (I just saw a price tag of an original M6 non-TTL for >$4K without box in a well-known US retail store).

The foil on top of the rangefinder frame brightness window is taped polarized foil from 3D glasses to reduce the otherwise often cumbersome patch flare. This method reduced it by a good amount - for free. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

58 minutes ago, Martin B said:

No idea how much it is worth now, but my M6 is from 1995 and came with its original box and documentation. I have it since six years. (I just saw a price tag of an original M6 non-TTL for >$4K without box in a well-known US retail store).

The foil on top of the rangefinder frame brightness window is taped polarized foil from 3D glasses to reduce the otherwise often cumbersome patch flare. This method reduced it by a good amount - for free. 

My gut says you would get US$3k in a pretty quick sale.  More with patience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danner said:

My gut says you would get US$3k in a pretty quick sale.  More with patience.

I think you are being overly generous.

Closer to $2500. A couple just sold on fredmiranda.com, one for $2400, one for $2700.  The one at $2900 has been sitting for a while.

11 hours ago, Anbaric said:

Joking aside, I completely agree. The 14312 nylon strap didn't need changing and it's a pity it was discontinued (I bought a spare that will end up on some camera or other). The other great strap is the equally simple and indestructible nylon Nikon AN-4B, the version without aggressive branding. I noticed that the new M6 strap has embossed lettering that mimics the style in some versions of the 14312.

I have many of the 14312 straps but am actively replacing them with the new leather ones.  I find the rubber neck pad on the nylon strap far too grippy.  I wear my cameras diagonally across my shoulder, and the leather strap allows me to grab my camera and lift it to my eye in a seamless motion as the leather slides over my shoulder.  The nylon ones snag and grab, so I often have to jerk around with them to get the camera to eye.

I also think the new leather ones look much more elegant and befitting of such a nice camera.

I would happily trade anyone their OEM leather Leica straps for my nylon ones!

Edited by Huss

I would think that Leica is releasing the new M6 gradually, get a hundred or so out in people's hands. See if anything pops up indicating a problem. That way the couple thousand they have sitting in their warehouse (😆) can be repaired before they leave the factory.  

Re the strap...

Although I have a couple of the 14312's at home (TX), we are in the UK right now.   I needed a camera strap here so went to order one from the Leica store/London.  I was surprised to find it's not available anymore and people on Ebay want 100+ bucks or more for a used one!  😱

So I bought an 8 dollar (Genuine Chinese!) strap.

9 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

Re the strap...

Although I have a couple of the 14312's at home (TX), we are in the UK right now.   I needed a camera strap here so went to order one from the Leica store/London.  I was surprised to find it's not available anymore and people on Ebay want 100+ bucks or more for a used one!  😱

So I bought an 8 dollar (Genuine Chinese!) strap.

Keep trawling E Bay for them. I have about a dozen that I have picked up for £15-20, cheapest £12.

The new strap looks nice, but there's no shortage of nice leather straps. The 14312 has that clever connector that attaches to the lugs without scratching them, and its plastic cover works especially well with the Solms bodies that have the little bumpers to protect the top plate from the strap rings. With this combination you don't have to use leather 'donuts' to protect the top plate. Nylon webbing is also easier to wrap around your wrist if you want to use it as a hand strap.

Another 14312 fan:

https://johnnymartyr.wordpress.com/2019/03/14/the-best-camera-strap-in-the-world/

Edited by Anbaric
  • Like 1

I also love the old Leica strap and use it whenever I can. Here is what it looks like when I'm using it on my M10P.

I have an M10R that came with a leather strap.  I left that strap in the box and put on a 14312 that I took off my MP.  I decided to take the MP out for a walk and found it did not have a strap.  I took a second look at the leather strap and then decided to order a 14312 not knowing Leica discontinued offering.  I found one online but they wanted $70 for a used one.  Still deciding whether to pull the trigger.  I liked the grippieness of the shoulder pad.  

6 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

I needed a camera strap here so went to order one from the Leica store/London.  I was surprised to find it's not available anymore

That's pity but I'm not as surprised as you. The classic 14312 strap is a product of the "old" Leica company that largely sold top notch, functional, camera equipment that appealed to a wide range of users. Sadly, the current Leica is fast transitioning to a lifestyle orientated technology company where functional excellence takes a backseat to retro appeal and/or luxury for its own sake. 

• Like 2