New Leica M6 Film Camera

On 10/30/2022 at 12:20 AM, Huss said:

You do know that the fact you are mentioning the M5, M6ttl and M7 means they are part of Leica analog history, right?

And how can the definitive line up include a 38 year old camera when Leica has just released a much improved version of it?

Don't be upset, I do not make history. 

Somehow Leica reverted back to old days twice

- after the M5 debacle, which almost kill Leitz. Hopefully ELCAN made m4-2 to save the M line up. 

- after M6 TTL, replaced by M7 electronic driven M camera. Many complains form faithful fans forced Leica to release an improve variant of the original M6, the MP. 

Then M-A is a strip down variant of MP. M6 2020 is an MP with M6 Leitz 1984 cosmetic details. 

So we got two dead ends for analog M with M5 then with M6 TTL and M7. 

M3, M2, M4, M4-2, M4-P, M6, MP, M-A and M6 again can be seen as a single line of evolution : exact same size (depth, height, width), small shutter speed dial. 

We can argue that M6 TTL, M7, M8, M9, M10 and M11 are part of the same line : taller body, TTL flash, big shutter speed dial reversed, auto aperture priority which relies exclusively on electronics (except M6 TTL) 

Somehow M typ 240, 246, 262 are the third dead end for digital M : thicker body, video support, multi-function grip, can be used as a digital R body. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

Good points.... one must look at progression. But really, the line-up now still harks back to the M3. The MA is about as close as you can get to the M3 while the MP is just one step off. So all points back to the M3. 

Now the only mystery I can see is the inclusion of both the new M6 and the current/older MP. Makes no sense unless Leica is deciding to offer the slight differences and retaining both the M6 and MP as it doesn't really hurt them. But one of those might go eventually. 

Even though I own a 246, I agree that the lineup of those thicker bodies spurned on technology advancement to create the new thinner line-up we have now. Like in past updates, it doesn't make the 240, 246, 262 worthless by any means....they still exist as great cameras (Just listen/watch the Red Dot Forum).. Given that, the same might be true of the MP as improvements in tech (slight as they are) have brought about the M6..

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 3:58 PM, lmans said:

The MA is about as close as you can get to the M3 while the MP is just one step off. So all points back to the M3. 

I would say that M-A is a modern take of M4-P. 

It is like Leica goes full circle here. 
M6 is an M4-P with TTL metering. 
MP is an M6 with fancier finish. 
M-A is a meter less MP. 
Which means that M-A is a fancier version of M4-P 😉

And now M6 2022 is an MP with M6 1984 design clues. 

Of course M4-P is an updated version of M4-2 which is a « lesser/cheaper » version of M4 which is a « better » of M2 which is a « lesser » variant of M3 in 0.72x VF flavour.

Leica is really going back and forth and back again. 

Edited by nicci78

On 10/28/2022 at 12:25 PM, Matlock said:

If it hasn't bubbled by now it never will. Bubbling is rare in spite of what you may read on this forum and is a result of poor casting or plating in the initial process. When it does occur it shows up fairly soon. However it can occur if the top plate plating is badly damaged which could allow moisture to attack the zinc so usual care is recommended.

That's a bit of a relief! Of course, the internet makes it seem like it's an epidemic, and every 2nd or 3rd M6 has the problem. Mine's from 1986 and the previous owner and I have treated the camera with care and I'll continue to do so.

20 minutes ago, Huss said:

But they can ship it sooner so we get it on launch day.

😅

I was just in Paris’ Beaumarchais store. They said no idea when the camera arrives (they know Leica is shipping FROM November 3rd, no arrivals today which is a day before) but they showed me the list of pre-orders and it’s 17 person long. They also said they will not be putting the first M6 they get in the store display for demo, but will ship every arrival to fulfill pre-orders first. Me, I would have definitely kept one in store and brag about it on the internet so more people would come, test and buy..

Edited by Al Brown

13 minutes ago, Homer Dulu said:

That's a bit of a relief! Of course, the internet makes it seem like it's an epidemic, and every 2nd or 3rd M6 has the problem. Mine's from 1986 and the previous owner and I have treated the camera with care and I'll continue to do so.

Given the number of M6, M6TTL and late M4-Ps constructed (well over 130000) the number of reported bubbling is miniscule.

• Like 1