New Leica M6 Film Camera

Making M6 once again makes sense. It is the statement of what Leica’s canon is.  

A line from M3, M2, M4, M4-2, M4-P, M6, MP and M6 once again. 

Sorry folks, M5, M6 TTL and M7 were attempts to break from canon. They failed and they are left out of analog M history. 

Leica definitive M line up in 2022 is one year old M11 and 38 years old M6. 

40 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Sorry folks, M5, M6 TTL and M7 were attempts to break from canon. They failed and they are left out of analog M history. 

What a load of nonsense.

Leica’s return to its historical base is the Mp & M-A.  For my money, the “new” M6 is just pastiche.  Having aperture priority as an additional mode is a trick Leica has missed, in my view.  Adding that to the MP would have rounded out the film M cameras nicely.  I see the M11 as another potential conceptual blind alley, like the M(240).  

But then we all differ, and that’s a good thing.  I’ll watch the M11 variants, and the M12, with remote interest.  I’ll flog my SL, TL2, Monochrom and M10-D til they die, then I’ll probably just stick to film.  I don’t see the digital M heading in a direction which is either consistent with the traditional M paradigm, and it is not an itch I wish to scratch.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

42 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

You do know that the fact you are mentioning the M5, M6ttl and M7 means they are part of Leica analog history, right?

And how can the definitive line up include a 38 year old camera when Leica has just released a much improved version of it?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Why is the M6 TTL not in the first row? AFAIK the MP has similar TTL flash metering. Maybe I’m mistaken I never use flash.

On 10/21/2022 at 12:23 AM, hdmesa said:

Recessed screws on the pressure plate. The MP/M-A screws are (annoyingly) at the same level as the pressure plate surface. Doesn't the original M6 have no screws on the pressure plate? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So I just picked up a new MP and it seems to me that the screws are also recessed. Please take a look - 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheBestSLIsALeicaflex said:

Anybody know if this new M6 can take IXMOO's?  Just curious.  I'm a big fan of bulk loading, and have accumulated a big stash over the years.  I know the early M6's could take those canisters.  

No. The very early M6 production had the baseplate with the key to open the IXMOO but it was dropped later in the M6 production run. The earlier baseplates were interchangeable up until the introduction of the MP.

3 hours ago, Jimmyp82 said:

So I just picked up a new MP and it seems to me that the screws are also recessed. Please take a look - 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice, thanks for sharing. A thoughtful redesign of the pressure plate mount, which so far seems exclusive to the new M6.