New Leica M6 Film Camera

14 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Yes, in the video I linked they say the shutter dial, even though of the small variety, is turning in sync with the arrows inside OVF, just like on M6 TTL and MP, which is the opposite of the old M6.

But not according to Leica's publicity photos which show the same dial layout and direction of the original M6.

28 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Yes, in the video I linked they say the shutter dial, even though of the small variety, is turning in sync with the arrows inside OVF, just like on M6 TTL and MP, which is the opposite of the old M6.

correction: MP, M6 classic, M2, and M3 has the same shutter dial direction

Edited by stefanusj

13 minutes ago, jim_shields said:

If I recall correctly the MP was to have internal gears made of brass which would wear in and feel smoother than those in the M6 which were made of steel to support a motor drove.  Does anyone know what the situation is with the new M6?

MP has steel internal gears

1 minute ago, Al Brown said:

Direction yes, but what about arrow sync, that's the topic... ( I do not own the MP, just quoting the guy).

the arrow light meter guidance is always the same. the difference is the newer analogue Leica (from M6TTL, M7, MP and MA) is the middle dot, before there are only two arrows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nicci78 said:

let's sum up the differences between M6 2022 vs M6 1984-1998 :

• same aesthetic design clues as original Leitz Leica M6 from 1984 : leitz red dot, made in germany stamped on leatherette, "ERNST LEITZ WETZLAR GERMANY" engraved on top plate

Am I missing anything else ?

Add to "design clues as original Leitz Leica M6": no rubber bumpers along the curves of the top-plate to protect against strap-wear.

I'm still wondering if, like the original M6 Classic, the new M6 accepts IXMOO cassettes.  No one seems to know yet.  But I bet that, just like its M7, MP and M-A older brethren, it does not....

Edited by M9reno

5 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Direction yes, but what about arrow sync, that's the topic... ( I do not own the MP, just quoting the guy).

Similar conversation going on in another thread.  I posted info from the new M6 manual (downloadable from the Leica web site) here:

1 hour ago, M9reno said:

I'm still wondering if, like the original M6 Classic, the new M6 accepts IXMOO cassettes.  No one seems to know yet.  But I bet that, just like its M7, MP and M-A older brethren, it does not....

No. The early M6s baseplate was still manufactured with the key to open the IXMOO but eventually it was dropped. There are changes to the MP body shell and the older baseplates are not interchangeable. 

53 minutes ago, Homer Dulu said:

I have an early model Wetzlar M6. It’s always bugged me that it’s a zinc top, prone to bubbling. Always preferred the brassing on black paint Leicas. If mine starts bubbling, I wonder if I can swap out the top plates? 

If it hasn't bubbled by now it never will. Bubbling is rare in spite of what you may read on this forum and is a result of poor casting or plating in the initial process. When it does occur it shows up fairly soon. However it can occur if the top plate plating is badly damaged which could allow moisture to attack the zinc so usual care is recommended.

Leica's pinned comment under the Youtube video of the new M6. In case anybody still had doubts...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Well, with all the internet buzz that the M6 has been receiving over the last couple of years, it would not have been a good marketing decision to have anything BUT "Leica M6" on the front of the camera.  Otherwise, all the new M6 Wanna-be owners would purchase used M6's so they have a "real M6."  This way Leica can sell them a "Real M6," instead of someone else (and Ebay) sharing the profit. ;)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

Well, with all the internet buzz that the M6 has been receiving over the last couple of years, it would not have been a good marketing decision to have anything BUT "Leica M6" on the front of the camera.  Otherwise, all the new M6 Wanna-be owners would purchase used M6's so they have a "real M6."  This way Leica can sell them a "Real M6," instead of someone else (and Ebay) sharing the profit. ;)

I still wonder how many M6 wannabe owners are going to pay $5295 for a new 'real' M6 or half that on a used 'real' M6.  I guess time will tell. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

You would have thought they would have given it a new name,  M6-2, like they did with the M4-2.

That’s what we in the forum mostly do:

- Summicron 35 iv , or pre-asph, or king of bokeh or v4

- Leica M9M, or Monochrom1, Monochrome1

- etc.

Voigtlander does this quite systematically by adding ii, see the Ultrons 28 and 35. So an M6 ii would do I think

Edited by otto.f

2 hours ago, logan2z said:

I still wonder how many M6 wannabe owners are going to pay $5295 for a new 'real' M6 or half that on a used 'real' M6.  I guess time will tell. 

All those who can afford to.   One is 40 years old, one is  brand new and improved.