New Leica M6 Film Camera

7 hours ago, 69xchange said:

I’m noticing a slight drop in prices on old film M cameras recently. Probably has more to do with inflation and the rise of cost of living though.

I think prices have stabilised after a period of hysteria, as in most people who suddenly neeeded a film Leica now have one. The past three or four years have been breathless in the price cameras can attain. But in all this time, and far further back in the recent past, Leica have seen their film heritage as a sideshow, a sop to nerds.

But who are the leaders in the revival of film, why it's the bright young things, the kids who are developing feelings for imagery in a world of sterile images. So I would guess a new affordable film camera is on the cards, aimed at the the bright young things, but Leica are years and years behind Lomo if that is the case. It is Lomography that started the price rises in second hand Leica's or indeed any old film camera, not nostalgia for Leica per se.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, jsrockit said:

It is the only rumored camera at this point ... 

Though what is the difference between an M6 (not TTL) and an MP? The M6 had an inferior viewfinder and zinc was used for the body instead of brass. Both „features“ would be unique in the production line for the M cameras, which would make the thing more expensive. Either the rumor doesn‘t make sense or Leica has lost their mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UliWer said:

Though what is the difference between an M6 (not TTL) and an MP? The M6 had an inferior viewfinder and zinc was used for the body instead of brass. Both „features“ would be unique in the production line for the M cameras, which would make the thing more expensive. Either the rumor doesn‘t make sense or Leica has lost their mind.

As others have mentioned I doubt the plan would be to re-issue the M6 with exact specs and materials.  Any such remake would likely be updated to current materials (let's say perhaps the aluminium of M11 tops though to differentiate from MP/M-A).

To be cost-effective production we could perhaps guess the insides would be mostly MP (?). 

Add another differentiator eg faster shutter speed and looking like an M6 from the outside, and Leica would easily eat up much of the booming second hand M6 market (those that can afford a step up between M6 and MP).  That would surely have to be the main objective, and all power to them - they deserve a piece of that pie .

Exciting times whatever is happening   

Edited by grahamc

7 minutes ago, Studienkamera said:

But how can an MP disguised as an M6 with additional features be cheaper than an MP? I don't get it.

It's a very good point !  Maybe only available in black chrome / aluminium.  And some other innards made more cost-effectively than 'mechanical perfection'.

And there's still plenty of plastic in that style body (advance lever tip etc) that perhaps the brass topped black paint MP will still be seen as premium 

But I do agree with you and was thinking the same myself 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, grahamc said:

To be cost-effective production we could perhaps guess the insides would be mostly MP (?). 

Add another differentiator eg faster shutter speed and looking like an M6 from the outside,

Well, if the inside came from the MP, the faster speed wouldn‘t be possible. They‘d need a new shutter. By the way, the M6 came in two different looks: the original one, which later became the MP, and the taller M6 TTL, which became the M7. Production of the M7 was stopped as its electronic parts were not longer disposable. To add some current electronic parts would be no great problem. I have no idea, whether adding a shutter similar to the digital bodies but cocked manually would be possible as well. If we saw a similar new M once, it would be the M7-2, but not a new M6. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

If we saw a similar new M once, it would be the M7-2, but not a new M6. 

The M6 was probably the most sold. They’ve seen the secondhand prices skyrocket. Money and nostalgia mean yet another limited edition. They know black paint is also another seller… so it will be an MP with M6 stamped on the front.

12 hours ago, Studienkamera said:

But how can an MP disguised as an M6 with additional features be cheaper than an MP? I don't get it.

The price of any of these cameras isn't the cost of the components added together, it's the price that Leica thinks the market will bear. Probably the production cost of a revived M6 won't be much different to that of an MP, with which it will likely share most components. They may or may not choose to do something like use a different metal (probably not zinc!) for the top plate as a means of product differentiation. If they want to call it an M6 they will certainly use the 'modern' rewind crank and film advance lever. I can't see them removing the viewfinder condenser lens that returned in the MP to reduce RF patch flare, and they've run out of M6 meter components so it would make sense to use the current version. But whether it will be sold for (marginally) less to target the young hipsters who have been hyping the M6 on social media, or sold for even more to the usual suspects as a limited edition is a marketing decision. If it's the former, they might also 'justify' a modest price reduction by saying it's made in Portugal; the latter will of course expect it to be 'Made in Germany', regardless of where much of the manufacturing is actually done.

Edited by Anbaric
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Al Brown said:

This is now out https://leicarumors.com/2022/09/16/breaking-leica-will-bring-back-to-life-the-m6-film-camera.aspx/
Man there is some hate in the comments over yonder...

What am I missing?  There is no new news, just a claim with no basis for that claim.  We’ve already been talking about this for 12 pages now.  What’s different?

• andybarton changed the title to New Leica [M6] Film Camera in October? [MERGED]
  • LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera