New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, Studienkamera said:

That was also my impression. Do you have this information from Leica, @jaapv?

I cannot retrieve it, but there was some buzz from Leica a few years ago. At any rate introducing a new model of a fully developed product a saturated niche market  is normally rather pointless.

Every year the phones have better cameras and more models fall by the wayside. Film photography is on a pretty good ride at the moment but not quite enough to encourage ramping up manufacturing a new film camera. Leica has hung in with both the MA and MP but how much longer will there be a choice? There are millions of film cameras floating around on the used market. I live in a rare area that has several repair shops. They’re busy all the time and are desperate for new technicians. Hopefully, Leica will continue to produce the MA, even if in small numbers. A greater help to Leica users would be to expand the service department giving an option to the few overwhelmed independents. 
A new M6, with the MP upgrades, would be great!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmyp82 said:

interesting.... a re issue m6.

my situation is I purchased an MP from the Leica store in London but am not due to collect until the end of Oct (birthday)

Wonder if the new m6 would be prefereable

It’s the same thing isn’t it? In your shoes, I’d stick with your MP order.

And who knows you may get the very last one made and it would worth a fortune :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am I right in thinking that you could configure a Leica MP in the previous  la carte options to be very similar to a M6.  Was not the cranked film rewind an option on the MP as  well as the cranked film advance lever. Just add a red dot and you are there.

It would seem to me quite  easy for Leica to do this. A nice presentation box plus lots of nostalgia, a price increase  over the MP, talk of a limited number and they would all be sold.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rupert Greenwell said:

Am I right in thinking that you could configure a Leica MP in the previous  la carte options to be very similar to a M6.  Was not the cranked film rewind an option on the MP as  well as the cranked film advance lever. Just add a red dot and you are there.

It would seem to me quite  easy for Leica to do this. A nice presentation box plus lots of nostalgia, a price increase  over the MP, talk of a limited number and they would all be sold.

Yes, you could specify those options, and I've thought much the same about any 'new M6'. Either sell it as a premium limited edition as you suggest (and seems most likely), or generate some hype by selling it in a basic retro box at a modest discount (perhaps with 'made in Portugal' engraving).

49 minutes ago, Jimmyp82 said:

I can't think they would keep the brass body though, drop that in favour of something else.

I don't see why they'd change this (except for exotic titanium editions, etc.). It's their standard process now. Even switching back to zinc would probably cost them more. According to one report on this forum, they have supposedly even made brass top plates as M6 spares for cameras afflicted by corrosion.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alberti said:

The RF of the M10/M11 is of a much better accuracy (though in film that might not be important at all).

What inaccuracies are present in the M-A/MP rangefinder that are addressed in the M10/M11?  Or are you only referring to issues specifically with the M6 eg. flare?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

This is how great that article is:

The Leica M7 also featured TTL flash metering, all the way up to 1/1000th of a second!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

Sure? How many would they sell? The present film camera production capacity is already severely reduced due to the low demand.

I saw a Leica production video a few years back that showed the film Ms being produced.  There literally is one person assembling them.

Like I mentioned before, saying the camera is sold out everywhere does not mean much if you don't know how many they are making every year.  If Leica only makes 1000, or 500, or who knows because they don't tell us, selling out that # of cameras is not a big deal.  If they sold out 20,000 film cameras every year, it is a big deal.

Frankly I don't understand why people are saying it would be great if they re-introduced the M6.  Leica themselves moved on and released the better MP.  The used market is flooded with M6s.  I now see them selling for $2500.  It's like saying Leica should re-introduce the M240.

Either way, I don't believe this rumour.  When Leica sells a 39mm lens cap for $45, who on earth thinks they will introduce an all new affordable film camera?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89433-REG/Leica_14038_39E_Lens_Cap_for.html

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Huss said:

Frankly I don't understand why people are saying it would be great if they re-introduced the M6.  Leica themselves moved on and released the better MP.  The used market is flooded with M6s.  I now see them selling for $2500.  It's like saying Leica should re-introduce the M240.

Either way, I don't believe this rumour.  When Leica sells a 39mm lens cap for $45, who on earth thinks they will introduce an all new affordable film camera?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89433-REG/Leica_14038_39E_Lens_Cap_for.html

Apparently there really is something coming out and it most likely is not a digital M body.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Everybody is excited about the new camera yet nobody is talking about new lenses... My spider sense is detecting something coming...

Yes - wondering when the rumoured for the past few years 50mm Summilux ASPH close focus lens will surface.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Apparently there really is something coming out and it most likely is not a digital M body.

I just don't understand the business aspect of this, unless it is a camera like a Leica CM aka the Leica Contax T3.

People who shoot Leica M film cameras are looking to do so because of the tradition of using really high (perceived) quality minimalist cameras.

The anti-digital.  The reason Leica stopped making the M7 was because people didn't want the "better camera", they wanted the more basic stripped down camera.

That hasn't changed.

23 hours ago, bags27 said:

Ok, forget the awful grammar for a sec.. ;)

"A press event is already scheduled for October in Germany and I was told that invitations are sent out. I expect other new Leica products to be released at that event.

The new Leica M film camera is also already been tested by photographers in the field."

Parsing this out.  There is a press event in October.  For Leica products.

The new Leica M film camera is already being tested out in the field?  Where did that information come from?

• andybarton changed the title to New Leica [M6] Film Camera in October? [MERGED]
  • LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera