New Leica M6 Film Camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Saw this several other places, and can't believe it's not already posted here. If it is, please excuse the redundancy and mods please combine. 

https://leicarumors.com/2022/08/31/new-leica-film-camera-rumored-to-be-announced-in-october.aspx/

Can I be the first to call this discussion, "The Hunt for Red October"? 😀

• Haha 3

I trust, this time will be right time.

May I bet that this one is 100% mechanical (or something easy to source locally) so no need to fight or wait for chips availability.

M...essiah announcement in October,

only happy few can buy then, delivery to most customers March or April next year.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If it's a cheap replacement for the MP that is great news because it will increase the resale price of an MP. But why people are gagging for it I don't understand unless it has some sort of revolutionary features that make it better and cheaper than a secondhand M6.

I fear that leica rumours is a click bait  operation. The new cheaper film Leica made no sense whatsoever. 

That said, I do hope a new film body will be released in the near future. This would make sense business wise for Leica and would further support the analogue cause. (They may not agree with me in Leica, though, and think that a modern film m competes with their digital offerings.)

My wish list includes both all mechanical and electronic speeds (and thus aperture priority), the ditching of dx reader, and the new m10/11 viewfinder. 

I’m sitting on the fence regarding a modern shutter system; while faster speeds are welcomed, the cloth is just something that should be there for purely traditional reasons.

Edited by jukka
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jukka said:

This would make sense business wise for Leica and would further support the analogue cause.

Sure? How many would they sell? The present film camera production capacity is already severely reduced due to the low demand.

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Sure? How many would they sell? The present film camera production capacity is already severely reduced due to the low demand.

Is it? Now, all I have is anecdotal evidence, but it seems to me that there is more demand than supply. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

What about new customers who don’t have the ability to trade in to trade up? Low demand is related to the high bar of buying a film body. Not everyone has four or five thousand dollars/ euros or pounds laying around to purchase a MA or MP and considering the least expensive lens, the 28 2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH is nearly three thousand usd, Leica has abandoned the chance to attract many new customers who would love to have a film body. Leica has always been a premium brand but when you drift away from what built that, then there is a problem. Currently, I’m using a M4 that was built in 1967, how many M11s will be around in fifty five years?

• Like 1

The main competitor is the used market. There are so many film M cameras out there, many in mint condition. Vastly more choice at prices that Leica cannot match for new camera. So they sell very few as is. The days that they produced tens of thousands each year are long gone.

• Like 3

• andybarton changed the title to New Leica [M6] Film Camera in October? [MERGED]
  • LUF Admin changed the title to New Leica M6 Film Camera