R lenses for Leica M

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently own a Leica M10-P with a Visoflex 2. All my lenses are either M or M39 used with adapters.

I am keen to consider purchasing a vario zoom R mount lens. Something like a 70-200.

Questions:

• Is this something worth considering? Is there a recommended list of R lenses for Leica M that work well?
  • I understand that there a 2 possible mounts one can use - Leica and Novoflex.
  • The Leica seems to bring up an R lens menu for I believe manual lens selection. The Novoflex needs a 6-bit coding for the lens type. Is this right?

Maybe its just a case of GAS but seek your inputs here. 

You can stick anything on your M if the flange is right. Visoflex will be the tool (or live view) and you will see if the setup fits your shooting style long term.
In my experience using Canon FDs, mirror telephotos, Macro Kilfitts and Zeiss Boitar 58 on my M240 and M10-R with Visoflex it was a no for me. Sticking with M mount, I do not even want M39 as it occasionally unscrews when in a hurry.

Historical user of M and R along for decades, so we (my wife is user also) still have many Leica R lenses around.

At first when liveview available, I was happy to use those nice R lenses with EVF mainly.

But the "lag" was something I hardly accept, as Leica M(RF) has very short "lag".

M10 has less lag than previous models, but still "slow", lv/evf use for my taste, for some applications.

@rramesh, you will see if these "lags" is something acceptable or not, I suggest you trying with your now (M or LTM) lenses with LV/EVF,

something like portrait, to see by yourself.

Longer lenses (I use 180 to 560mm) can be tricky to focus), with "lag" when in hurry, the subject is not in the frame !

The zoom to get is the 70-180mm Apo f2.8 if (big if) you don't mind the weight.  I have tried two and their imaging is prime lens quality.  

80-200mm f4 is very well regarded in LUF posts, I have no experience.  

Buy the Leica adapter, Novoflex adapters work well but from my experience with M-L and R-L, Novoflex might not have all the features of the Leica.  

https://www.popflash.com/pre-owned-equipment/leica-r-adapter-m-14642-certified-pre-owned/

I have one zoom lens bought from new.

French reputed when trying to have a zoom lens won the party, over cheaper Leica zoom lens.

For some decades, I use Angenieux 3x70 f/3.5 R mount lens and it is tough giving as good results as fix focal lenses of same focals (80, 100, 180) in my case when I don't need speedy lenses but "zoom".

how it looks

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

While you can use the R mount lenses on an M10 with Visoflex and get good images, due to the noted lag and ergonomics, I prefer to use them on a full frame mirrorless. I use the original (inexpensive) Sony A7 as the digital solution for my R lenses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

@rramesh, you will see if these "lags" is something acceptable or not, I suggest you trying with your now (M or LTM) lenses with LV/EVF,

something like portrait, to see by yourself.

Longer lenses (I use 180 to 560mm) can be tricky to focus), with "lag" when in hurry, the subject is not in the frame !

Good point. I have so far not be bothered by any perceived lag using a Visoflex for lenses up to 90mm. I have not really used any lens longer than that. So I take it that it will really be useful only for near stationary imagery.

I had used some R glass on my M240, but did not enjoy the ergonomics. Lag was not so much of an issue for me. 

If I recall correctly, the R to M adapter by Leica has 6 bit coding to bring up the R lens menu in the camera, and it has a tripod mount (which can be detached). The tripod mount adds weight, but is handy for heavier glass (and gives something else to hold onto apart from the lens itself).

There are a few novoflex R to M adapters. The latest one (from around the time the M240 and Leica R to M came out) also has the 6bit coding - I believe they licensed it from Leica or something along those lines.

I have an older novoflex adapter which isn't coded and there is a tiny bit of play when mounted. The Leica R to M I had didn't.

I've no experience with telephoto R glass, so can't contribute to the discussion there.

Adapter R to M with tripod mount is handy for lens like Summilux-R 80mm plus 2x Extender-R, like here

I adapted a wooden "grip" to focus with two digits

or this very nice combo x2 Apo-Extender-R plus Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180mm

same grip can be used also without x2 👍 for two-digit-focussing

To me the lag in Leica M (240/10) is too high and refresh rate is tedious. Best solution ever is a Leica SL2S. No lag, auto ISO perfectly working, with your mind you can stay on the shoot only...I tried sever solutions for my many beloved R Lenses and SL2S is the best actually.