How many rolls for a 3 week trip?

ejg1890

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know in a broad sense the answer to how many roll is “it all depends”; however, I would be interested to know how many rolls people take with them on a trip and duration. Also how many rolls do people average per week when on vacation or holiday?  We are leaving this weekend for 24 day trip across the French Riviera and northern France. It has only been the last 6 months I have returned to film, focusing solely on digital the last decade or so. I usually dont click that shutter button as often with film as I do with digital, so of that has to do with the amount of film I have at the time. I plan to take the M10-R, and then film cameras M4 and 2 Zeiss medium format folding cameras. I plan to take both color and BW film in 35mm and 120mm formats. Any thoughts on how many rolls per week people shoot while on trips? I want to add I do realize film can be purchased in Europe. However, looking high and low I have been able to acquire Portra 400, Gold 200 and Acros 100 II all of which have been difficult films to find these days. 

Thanks

10, 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000?

How can anyone answer that question?  You answered it yourself “it depends”. On what? The day of the week, the weather, how you got out of bed in the morning. what’s happening around you. If you tend to shoot a lot then get more than normal. If you run out get more.

Do research into the areas you’re going to and find anywhere that sells film locally. They might not have the film you want to shoot with, but that’s the adventure of travelling to foreign lands. 

Take what you think is enough and then buy more when you get there if you need it.

Edited by OThomas

1 hour ago, ejg1890 said:

I know in a broad sense the answer to how many roll is “it all depends”; however, I would be interested to know how many rolls people take with them on a trip and duration. Also how many rolls do people average per week when on vacation or holiday?  We are leaving this weekend for 24 day trip across the French Riviera and northern France. It has only been the last 6 months I have returned to film, focusing solely on digital the last decade or so. I usually dont click that shutter button as often with film as I do with digital, so of that has to do with the amount of film I have at the time. I plan to take the M10-R, and then film cameras M4 and 2 Zeiss medium format folding cameras. I plan to take both color and BW film in 35mm and 120mm formats. Any thoughts on how many rolls per week people shoot while on trips? I want to add I do realize film can be purchased in Europe. However, looking high and low I have been able to acquire Portra 400, Gold 200 and Acros 100 II all of which have been difficult films to find these days. 

Thanks

if only film, then 4-6 rolls a day, b&w on iiic, color on iiif, one with 35mm, one with 50mm

if film + digital, then 3 rolls a day, film on 50 or 35mm, digital usually on 90mm.

Edited by frame-it

My rule of thumb, 80% of time for enjoying the scenery without looking through the camera, and no more than 20% for photography.

Then it depends on how fast to take a picture. It is about 10min per shot with Medium format film, on tripod of course, about 3 min per shot with 35mm film without tripod, and about 3 second per shot with digital. sometimes I can do better, like 3 shots per second …. 

1 roll/35mm or 1roll/120 per day is about average, but I usually carry twice as much, rarely used that much though. 

1 hour ago, jankap said:

10 negatives (or slides) per hour, giving in theory 2000 photos in 3 weeks. More realistic say 1000 pictures to handle, is that possible until the next voyage?

I bet your long-suffering travel partner loves you... 🙂

It also depends upon whether the purpose of the "holiday" is to take photographs, or to enjoy where you are and the company you are with.

• Like 1

Decide how important photography is going to be. If you're travelling with non-photographers you might not be able to spend as much time on photography as you would if travelling alone or with other photographers.

I usually go away with the intention of creating a book and/or prints from the output and if I intend to concentrate mainly landscapes and architecture,1-2 rolls per day (or 4x10-roll packs of 35mm film) for a 3-week holiday would be ample for me. 

If I was going to a destination that would also be good for street photography (India, for example), I'd add another 10 rolls.

Keep your exposed and unexposed film with your cabin baggage, don't put it in your checked-in baggage.  To make your transit through airport security easier, remove all the film packaging and put the film rolls into clear ziplock bags and request hand inspection.    

14 hours ago, andybarton said:

It also depends upon whether the purpose of the "holiday" is to take photographs, or to enjoy where you are and the company you are with.

Both, my wife frequently shop’s and I wonder off doing my thing. We also do a significant amount of walking around cities. I have been photographing for years so she is accustom to this. I just haven’t shot film for almost 30 years until about 6 months ago. Digital shooting is easy - click away all day then upload to the ipad/cloud and recharge the battery for the next days adventures.

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

After further reflection, I would advise taking 2000 rolls of film.  It's the only way to be sure that you have enough.

A large suit case full of film and a change of cloths stuffed into a small camera bag. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oldwino said:

My last trip to Europe, pre-pandemic, was 2 1/2 weeks in Spain and France. I shot almost 10 rolls of film.  

14 minutes ago, Aryel said:

When travelling I usually shoot 1 to 2 rolls per day. More if I am attending some events.  
I use only film, typically with two bodies one loaded for low light one loaded for daylight…

These are bookends for my typical film use. 1/2 to 2 rolls per day, on average. If you are taking a digital camera as well, there will be times you just want to snap away, for which the digital is perfect. The more deliberate, contemplative photography begs for film and its attendant process. At least that my experience. 

1 hour ago, Mute-on said:

These are bookends for my typical film use. 1/2 to 2 rolls per day, on average. If you are taking a digital camera as well, there will be times you just want to snap away, for which the digital is perfect. The more deliberate, contemplative photography begs for film and its attendant process. At least that my experience. 

I do not hesitate to snap and buy film locally to complete if needed too. I just factor the cost as part of the trip. 

On 9/1/2022 at 4:41 AM, Ouroboros said:

To make your transit through airport security easier, remove all the film packaging and put the film rolls into clear ziplock bags and request hand inspection.    

Rather than zip lock bags I have the lead lined protective film bags. Has anyone had experience with those going through airport security?  Thanks 

Am 30.8.2022 um 23:49 schrieb ejg1890:

Any thoughts on how many rolls per week people shoot while on trips?

Am 1.9.2022 um 04:21 schrieb Herr Barnack:

3 weeks = 21 days x 3 rolls per day = 63 rolls of film.

Wow, I am a longtime film shooter (mostly slide film), but I have never ever used 3 rolls of film per day on any trip. Think first, then trip the shutter, that's how I do it, at least when shoting film. I'd say take 10 - 20 rolls of film, that should be enough, the more so since you also carry a digital camera on that upcoming trip. Most importantly, however, do enjoy your trip!

Edited by wizard
correction
  • Like 2

I guess I've never traveled for the purpose of photography, but to experience the journey - so in the film era I'd average a roll a week. However, switching to digital for a 10-day once-in-a-lifetime study trip to Israel I took about 1200 shots. Had I been using film I would have been more restrained.