18mm f2.8 prime in comparison to Sigma 18-50 f2.8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, wda said:

Words fail me. Are aesthetics more important than ergonomics and performance ?

That’s why I’m still second guessing my decision. But I do think that if aesthetics don’t match expectations, it is something that will play a big role as well. We all buy stuff that needs to pleasing to the eye as well. 

But maybe I’ve weighed this more than necessary. In the end it was mainly the 18mm looking dodgy, Lumix, toy-like.

I liked the almost identical 20mm on my Pen-F but won’t think of it as a 1.000 bucks Leica lens. When you see the Leica 18mm next to the Lumix-MFT 20mm you’d be shocked as well.

• Like 1

The decision felt right, up until I paid a closer look at the files from the CL compared to the T. The doubt was there! And then all of the sudden there came an all black 18mm/2.8 for sale second hand for a very reasonable price. So the following happened today:

- Turned around the return (...);
- Made a quote at MPB for the sale of a brand new 18mm/2.8 (de-kitting the CL + 18mm kit);
- Will add the black 18mm which I just bought second hand to the CL instead of the silver one;
- Keep the TL23mm summicron from the Typ 701;
- Sell the T to MPB for a trade with the Sigma 45mm f2.8.

This time I'm sticking to it. Felt a bit like a tool and seeing this topic evolving I sure acted like one.

In short I'll have the silver CL with 3 primes: 18mm, 23mm and 45mm Sigma. 

• Like 3

Good for you.  Great that you turned around the decision and great that you could be up front about it.  There's hardly a member of this forum who is not swayed by camera and lens aesthetics.  So you are in good company.  No big deal.

Edited by rob_w
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Yes and the return parcel is still on the way. I kept second guessing this decision because those files are just… magnificent.
I’ve even had a bad night sleep sending back one of the most capable cameras, just because I didn’t really like its lens barrel color (….)?

i might even just….. 😂 

It doesn't seem like a reason to return a device that's designed to take photos, but if aesthetics are that important to you then you must go with your gut.

Now I’m sticking to it. Promised 🤐

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1