Film conversation with local camera store

ejg1890

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In a conversation this afternoon with the local camera store, they mentioned the film shortage is related to materials to make the 135mm canisters. Thats why 135/35 film, especially Kodak, is in short supply, but 120 film, including Portra 400 120 is readily available. There are a few companies, such as Ilford, who use plastic rather than aluminum or metal in their canisters. Those companies have no problems getting film to market. That would explain why Portra, Gold, UltraMax, Ektar, etc are hard to find in 135 format but readily available in 120, along with Ilford easily available.  

Just 2-3 weeks ago another camera store had over 160 rolls of Portra 400 at $14/roll that price is now $18/roll. The guy at the store indicated once the raw material issue is resolved availability of film will improve and prices will drop. Without explicitly stating it, he indicated the retail price has increased at a much higher rate than the whole sale rate the camera stores pay. 

I need to also add the store did state film is generally seasonal. Due to the heat in the summer months (northern hemisphere) film manufacturing and shipping is reduced during this period as trailers (trucks, train) used for transportation are not refrigerated. Since film does not do will with heat film companies do reduce shipments during the summer. 

Will be interesting if there is a pick up in film availability in the last half of the year.  Thoughts?

Edited by ejg1890
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ilford films are not loaded into plastic cassettes - I’m not sure why he had that idea. It seems to me that the availability issue is not a problem generally with black and white stocks (which is all that Ilford make) but is related to colour stocks.

His explanation regarding seasonal availability sounds reasonable though, as was his implicit admission that film retailers will make hay while the sun shines. Let’s hope that’s all it is and that more stocks of colour film will fill all those shelves very soon.

Thank you for your report and observations on this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good to know the period status only impact to color films market only.

The missing puzzles is the film and hi-end monitors.

It could be a good chance for Leica to merge/acquire some market sectors and make the eco-system more complete.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Huss said:

I have Kodak, Ilford and Fuji 35mm films in front of me.  They all are metal cannisters.

Kodak and Fuji appear to have some metal in the canisters but I didn’t think ilford does.

Also see your in Hermosa Beach, I’m In RPV so we’re practically neighbors. 

45 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

But they are not canisters, they are cassettes. All Kodak canisters are plastic (as are Ilford and just about all other makes).

The last time I saw a metal Ilford container it looked like this.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

6 hours ago, ejg1890 said:

Kodak and Fuji appear to have some metal in the canisters but I didn’t think ilford does.

Also see your in Hermosa Beach, I’m In RPV so we’re practically neighbors. 

Fiesta Hermosa this w/e!  Good for some people watching/snaps.

Edited by Huss

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Just checked - my Ilford canisters are metal as well. I don't remember ever seeing a plastic canister of any brand. 

My Silberra films use plastic canisters.

Edited by Huss

On 9/3/2022 at 5:06 PM, Matlock said:

But they are not canisters, they are cassettes. All Kodak canisters are plastic (as are Ilford and just about all other makes).

I assumed everyone was talking about the cassette shells. I haven't seen cassettes packaged in metal containers in decades. I have seen reloadable plastic cassettes.

Most of the canisters are plastic. However, several of them such as Kodak use metal “krimps” (not sure what they are really called, but that’s what the store referred to them as), that is the part of the canister where the film comes out of the canister. Kodak canisters have metal “krimps”, while Ilfords do look plastic.

Clearly different language at work here: canisters vs cassettes! I agree the canisters are usually plastic and cassettes are usually metal.

My own usage is "canister" for the thing you need a bottle opener to open, and "film container" for the outer case with a lid that can be removed by hand. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

OK the nomenclature has caused some confusion. My own use of the word cassette for the apparatus onto which film is rolled is reflected here and elsewhere: https://www.photoresource.com.au/PLASTIC-RELOADABLE-35MM-FILM-CASSETTE-p/drbpc.htm

Even so, the later Adox Silvermax 100 rolls were rolled into plastic reloadable cassettes (which were then sold in plastic containers). And people have pointed out that some of the lomography-type films have been rolled into plastic cassettes so they have certainly existed. 

Paul is right - it is far more usual for cassettes to be of metal and for the containers that contain those cassettes to be plastic, but there are exceptions. 

Although how any of this matters I'm not all that clear.

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Exhibit A: a plastic adox cassette

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 9:30 PM, Erato said:

It could be a good chance for Leica to merge/acquire some market sectors and make the eco-system more complete.

Please not, or we’ll find ourselves with ancient emulsions being reissued in limited quantities, at outrageous prices, and in titanium or safari coloured canisters - and no progress on new film.

In my opinion, if Leica wants to increase support for film, they could offer a film scanner. This at least, would build on their current core technology.

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mr.Prime said:

Please not, or we’ll find ourselves with ancient emulsions being reissued in limited quantities, at outrageous prices, and in titanium or safari coloured canisters - and no progress on new film.

In my opinion, if Leica wants to increase support for film, they could offer a film scanner. This at least, would build on their current core technology.

I suspect that it would be too hard to acquire EPSON or so. But I can bridge Leica directly to the Top Tier OEM scanner maker in Taiwan if they polishing your precious opinion above.