Leica point & shoot for concerts

bdolzani

Advertisement (gone after registration)

'Small p&s' is often the rules for bigger stadium shows. I've taken my film Olympus on a few occasions but may like to get a P&S digital for shots from my seat, and curious if anyone uses a Leica P&S and which one. Is it just the D-lux?

iPhones are 12MP and I'd like to aim higher than that, otherwise why not just use a phone. 

How far away will you be seated, and how close do you want your images to seem?  Here are some from a Graham Nash concert, but we were in the second row, using a Dlux109, the immediate predecessor of the newer Dlux 7.  Most people do not know this about the Pana-Leicas:  The cameras have an algorithm that allows double the tele equivalence (150mm) via interpolations software., so your reach is much farther than the native 75mm tele.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Ah this is perfect @stuny thank you. When there's a local show I want to shoot, I am often able to get photo access, but for bigger shows I just thought it would be nice to have something that's not a phone, with some zoom reach, that I can legally bring in. I did not know about the interpolation. 

Did the venue see the Dlux and allow it?

I'm seeing Jason Isbell tonight and I have shot his set at Newport Folk Fest from the crowd with my Nikon F3 and 135mm, also on X-Pro with that lens for nice reach. But you can't bring that setup into an amphitheater show without pro access obviously. Something like a 24-70 zoom from any seat would be fine to make a few shots.

I brought the Dlux because I was fearful that they would not permit a larger camera.  No problem.

Also no problem at Town Hall with a larger camera (Vlux4) when Hugh Laurie was performing with his blues band

• Like 1

Wow that's a bit surprising that you could get the Vlux in. However that *would* fall under the 'no detachable lenses' rule and I've considered that as well. Yet some venues also add 'small' and 'no zooms longer than one inch' (which was the rule last night at my amphitheater). My Stylus zoom made the cut but I'm not expecting much from the roll. Just too far away and grainy Tmax 3200.

Bottom line it's just best to have real access to shoot the show but i'm looking for a backup plan.

Edited by bdolzani

At the NYC exhibit of Rolling Stones about half-way through a security person said he heard on the radio I was using a professional camera, and to stop (that was with  a Vlux 114).  I should have challenged him to remove the lens.

The Doobie Brothers will be at Radio City next month, and since I was able to use a camera there for Cirque shots, maybe....

At certain venues (such as MSG) I think they'd let me bring in a huge DSLR and huge zoom, but My Vlux114 was fine for these shows (though I do hate MSG, mostly for trying to enter and leave, but also people standing.)  In the future, if I return, I'll take a front row seat on the side, which is about several feet above the floor so people standing would not be in the way.  Nevertheless, I was able to catch things like this with the Vlux114 in MSG:

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm surprised MSG would let anything in like that. I haven't tried, and don't go to shows there too often. But it would be the worst to (finally) get up to security and get rejected. Where would you store the camera??

And there's the thing about getting front row tickets? ;-). Impressive captures for MSG wow.