Photoshop Neural Filters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently got a request to colorize an image for a publication and had never tried the new Neural Filters in Photoshop CC. I was kind of shocked to see how easy it was. This image taken with my M9M was colorized with one click in about 2 seconds. I made no adjustments to what the Neural Filter did.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried it as well, but it does not work on all subjects: The army vehicles were green, the reds on the barrier are strangely coloured, etc. I think it is best for landscape and portraits.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I tried it as well, but it does not work on all subjects: The army vehicles were green, the reds on the barrier are strangely coloured, etc. I think it is best for landscape and portraits.

Yes, I think you're right. It seems like there should be some way to adjust the colours because purple army vehicles don't look right. I'll dig into it tomorrow. 

Thanks for the heads up, I knew nothing about these filters. 

I've just had a play with them and they aren't very good are they. For landscape they are very patchy and inaccurate and seemingly with no way to 'boost' the tolerances. Ultimately though they bring me back to the big question, why make a colour photograph when B&W is superior in every way?

• Haha 1

I don't see the point of using such a procedure on a file you deliberately chose to produce monochrome. If it is colour you want, choose a colour camera. Can you clarify why your client wanted you to do this procedure. Was it for a photographic magazine?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a need to colourize old (family) photographs.  Also, colorizing a monochrome can produce images that look quite cinematic or have a slide film character. I will try some time to rescue a few M240  photographs that were spoilt by IR contamination by making monochrome and re-colorizing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wda said:

I don't see the point of using such a procedure on a file you deliberately chose to produce monochrome. If it is colour you want, choose a colour camera. Can you clarify why your client wanted you to do this procedure. Was it for a photographic magazine?

There's something in the photography business known as "stock." In the case of my initial request, I was asked by a publisher if I had any photos of a person who was the subject of a story. I said I did, and sent my stock photo, which had been taken a couple of years prior with my M10M. What followed was, "well, we'd like a color shot." That's what prompted be to try the Neural Filter.

I am not advocating shooting b&w for the purpose of converting to colour later on. I'm fully aware that if I want a colour image I should shoot with a colour camera.

No, the story was not about photographic processes. It was a profile about an individual and his impact in a particular venture. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wda said:

I am not convinced old monochrome photographs gain from colourizatization.  The fact that they are monochrome adds to their period feeling. They look more genuinely old.

I don't disagree with this. Unfortunately, in the photography business we often have to succumb to the desires of our clients--much like in other businesses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Not my pics.  I have no interest, although technically interesting.

Jeff

I just took a look at the process. Seems a bit more involved than using the Neural Filters and not something I'd be interested in doing. For those who question why someone would go through this process rather than just using a colour camera, I thought the photographer's opening statement was to the point. He said, "I just took one of the most color-accurate photos I’ve ever taken indoors.  I took it with the M10 Monochrom."

Edited by fotografr

9 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I just took a look at the process. Seems a bit more involved that using the Neural Filters and not something I'd be interested in doing. For those who question why someone would go through this process rather than just using a colour camera, I thought the photographer's opening statement was to the point. He said, "I just took one of the most color-accurate photos I’ve ever taken indoors.  I took it with the M10 Monochrom."

No, he simply used Photoshop neural filters… 60 seconds, he said… post #8.  I was guessing that he used another more complicated process with colored lens filters, which is also feasible. 

Jeff

39 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

No, he simply used Photoshop neural filters… 60 seconds, he said… post #8.  I was guessing that he used another more complicated process with colored lens filters, which is also feasible. 

Jeff

I see that now. I thought he was the same person who wrote the piece for Leica Rumors, but that was another individual. His process is explained here:

https://leicarumors.com/2020/01/29/color-photography-with-the-leica-m10-monochrom-camera-m10m.aspx/

It has a long way to go:

Original capture: BW conversion: Colorize with neural filter (hideous)

20 minutes ago, Likaleica said:

It has a long way to go:

Original capture: BW conversion: Colorize with neural filter (hideous)

The b&w conversion looks like it had heavy toning. I wonder if that affected the colorizing? 

• Like 1