Suggestions for anti-reflection paint

sinjun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The anti-reflection paint is wearning off my titanium-coated 35mm summilux to the extent that it is likely to contribute to flare. Are there any suggestions for what paint I could use to touch it up?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is what I use for any camera blackout needs, but you may find painting the filter threads will stop you screwing in a filter or it will rub off when you do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

This is what I use for any camera blackout needs, but you may find painting the filter threads will stop you screwing in a filter or it will rub off when you do.

Thanks, that's interesting - it even says 'photographic work' on the tin, though I'm not sure what it means by that.  As Chasdfg says I can't put a filter on anyway - in fact they are not even threads, just circular rather than spiral indents.

3 hours ago, 250swb said:

Paint will rub right off again if you put a filter on and I don't think it will make any difference to the image even if it all flakes off.

I think it does make a difference in the right (wrong) circumstances since the titanium finish is pretty shiny. You may be right about rubbing off though. Although a filter won't fit there, the titanium finish seems to  make a poor substrate for paint and the lens cap pushes agains this part.

vor 20 Stunden schrieb sinjun:

The anti-reflection paint is wearning off my titanium-coated 35mm summilux to the extent that it is likely to contribute to flare. Are there any suggestions for what paint I could use to touch it up?

https://tetenal.com/media/60/bd/3a/1605714511/351686_00_Produkt Information_Kameralack Spray_105202_DE_08-05-2017.pdf

If you spray a small amount of the paint onto a cotton swab you can then apply the matte black paint. Or else you take a small container and spray the required amount into that container before applying it with a small brush. You  should clean the surface with benzine or alcohol before applying the paint. 

• Thanks 1

Repainting it yourself will devalue it more than leaving it alone. It's character. Slap the 12504 lens hood on it and never think about it again.

If you can't let it go, use a professional repaint/repair service like Kanto to repaint just the inside of the rim. I doubt they would charge much for that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Repainting it yourself will devalue it more than leaving it alone. It's character.

That's something that had crossed my mind - but I can't see it doing irreparable damage and in this instance I'm more interested in utility than character.