Need Lowlight Autofocus Advice

mountainrivera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just shot a party using a flash, sl2 and Leica 24-90 autofocus lens. To say i am underwhelmed with focus speed and accuracy is an understatement. I had and sold a Canon 5div and it was like secretariat vs a snail as far as focus speed and accuracy in low light. Hopefully user error and folks here can offer advice. I did have it set to focus in low light and used both spot and multi point focus settings. just so slow to lock in. I'm very disapointed and don't see how a pro can use this to shoot a wedding. It has to be me so advice would be greatly appreciated. Thnx in advance. . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mountainrivera said:

I just shot a party using a flash, sl2 and Leica 24-90 autofocus lens. To say i am underwhelmed with focus speed and accuracy is an understatement. I had and sold a Canon 5div and it was like secretariat vs a snail as far as focus speed and accuracy in low light. Hopefully user error and folks here can offer advice. I did have it set to focus in low light and used both spot and multi point focus settings. just so slow to lock in. I'm very disapointed and don't see how a pro can use this to shoot a wedding. It has to be me so advice would be greatly appreciated. Thnx in advance. . 

I don't think it can, it doesn't work well in extreme low light and definitely cannot focus as fast as dslr. In low light I use single point focus, you can only light up the object to have accurate focus, bring a torch with you.

Yes the camera is not great in low light to lock on AF in a black room. But I did shoot events in dim light room ok.'

It does help to have a faster lens in this cases, the more light the sensor get the easier it is to focus.

What flash did you use? Did you use the assist light from the flash?

Possibly the issue in this case is that the flash is a not a dedicated Leica model and the SL2 does not recognize that it is mounted.  In that situation Exposure Preview will remain active, the view in the EVF will be dim, and there will be insufficient light hitting the sensor for good autofocus performance.  In my studio work the SL2 does not recognize my Pocket Wizard flash trigger and I have a black view through the EVF. To correct that I have to go to manual exposure (which is the only mode in which Exposure Preview can be manually disabled) and set P-A-S-M to P-A-S.  This gives me a bright EVF view that lets me compose and the body to focus.  That also works if I use my Nikon flash set to Manual or Auto-Thyristor.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Luke_Miller said:

Possibly the issue in this case is that the flash is a not a dedicated Leica model and the SL2 does not recognize that it is mounted.  In that situation Exposure Preview will remain active, the view in the EVF will be dim, and there will be insufficient light hitting the sensor for good autofocus performance.  In my studio work the SL2 does not recognize my Pocket Wizard flash trigger and I have a black view through the EVF. To correct that I have to go to manual exposure (which is the only mode in which Exposure Preview can be manually disabled) and set P-A-S-M to P-A-S.  This gives me a bright EVF view that lets me compose and the body to focus.  That also works if I use my Nikon flash set to Manual or Auto-Thyristor.

Didn't he say that enhanced live view was active... in that case preview with flash is disabled

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Setting it to PAS is vital in M shooting mode. I rarely use flash except for studio, and I use a SL2-S, but I have had no trouble focusing iAF/AFs of static or slow moving people in very low light; I have often been amazed when lifting my eye from the VF to find I cannot see what I have just focused on.

That said, the EVF does slow down in low light, so AF of fast moving people is a problem. Depends on your party, I guess🙂.

F13? What on earth possessed you to use f13? No wonder you had no AF.

At f13 you go to manual focus, 2 meters and just rely on zone focusing.

The SL2 can focus down to EV-6. You were simulating an exposure several stops lower than that. Try f5.6. I have never felt the need in 20 years to shoot a wedding reception at anything smaller than f8.

Also it's a contrast based system. Look for edges. Eyebrows instead of eyes. Cheek lines etc. A bit of manual pre-focusing with AF assist is a very useful technique. Try to avoid backlighting. 

The SF58 is an older unit designed for DSLRs like the S2. But I have shot hundreds of wedding receptions on the SL2 and older, slower SL (601) with no issues with guns including the SF58. With the SF58 I would set the flash to auto, not TTL and set it to f5.6 at ISO 4-800. Then set the camera to the same. Turn on the internal AF assist light.

Gordon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mountainrivera said:

I am using a Leica SF58 flash and had it set in M  to manual F13, shutter at 250

hmmm. if I remember correctly the SF58 is not fully compatible with SL2

But if you a setting the camera on M and  the lens to F13 you are going to wait in between shot to recharge.

Did you have AF illumination on?

I think when you have a flash on the hotshoe the camera goes into P-A-S automatically .

On 8/27/2022 at 10:31 AM, Luke_Miller said:

Possibly the issue in this case is that the flash is a not a dedicated Leica model and the SL2 does not recognize that it is mounted.  In that situation Exposure Preview will remain active, the view in the EVF will be dim, and there will be insufficient light hitting the sensor for good autofocus performance.  In my studio work the SL2 does not recognize my Pocket Wizard flash trigger and I have a black view through the EVF. To correct that I have to go to manual exposure (which is the only mode in which Exposure Preview can be manually disabled) and set P-A-S-M to P-A-S.  This gives me a bright EVF view that lets me compose and the body to focus.  That also works if I use my Nikon flash to Manual or Auto-Thyristor.

Hey - changing to PAS worked. Thnx!!