Need some help to upgrade a Pradovit P300

thepopol777

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello guys 🙂

My granpa have an old Pradovit P300, and I would like to know if there was a way to somehow upgrade it, or buy a new better one ( for Christmas you know ). I really don't know about projectors or photography, so I did some research before asking here but maybe I will say silly things 😂

So, with his pradovit P300 comes this lens:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I read that a lens Colorplan P2 could be a great upgrade ( is it really visible ? ), but I also saw a Pradovit CA2502 that have the great feature to not have a long black screen between slides ( correct me if I'm wrong ). Bonus, it comes with a Colorplan ( not P2... is it bad ? )

Also, my Granpa uses a 1.5 x 1.5 meter white screen, and he usually puts it at 3m distance. If I'm right, a 90mm focal would be a problem ?

I found out I could get a Vario Elmarit P2 f 2,8-70-120 , but it's a little pricey and buying this + a CA2502 would kill my wallet. I could, but I must be sure that it's compatible and if the quality would be really far better. Also, I don't know if this Elmarit is as good as a colorplan or colorplan P2 ? Is it worth buying only this alone as a good enhancement gift ?

All advices are welcome.

Thank you

Edited by thepopol777

• 3 weeks later...

sir,

Even though this may be post festum info, ity might be useful for others.

The 2000series was far more sturdily built than the later 300&600 ones from the Zett projector factory  that Leitz bought from Zeissa although they were also quite good.  And the colorplan optics, especially the revised "supercolorplan P2"version is very good-, certainly much better than the one in your picture above.  The zooms were intended for cases where the projector had different screen distances, but if you can plan on where to place the projector and the screen, a fixed focus lens is preferrable.  make sure it is the right diameter, not the later for PR reasons called "pro" built for the Kodak slide tray system sold in the US.

The 2ooo series had a very short dark-interval and some come with a thyristor that could vary the light flux. later versions also had aspheric condenser systems that guaranteed an even  light distribution (except that the earlier ones did not have any visible problems with uneven light)  Do test that everything works, lubricants can get sticky and fan belt rubber loosen if the device has been stored in the wrong way.  The 600 I once had before I gave it away in favour of a 2002 had an easily operated trick for changing lamps but the Leitz LKM slide tray had a tendency to get stuck which the ordinary tray never did-.

in conclusion, keep the 300 , get a scp on the scondhand market and enjoy projection sharper amd  more colour true than any digital projector can provide.

p.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 3:50 PM, ph. said:

in conclusion, keep the 300 , get a scp on the scondhand market and enjoy projection sharper amd  more colour true than any digital projector can provide.

p.

Absolutely not Post festum, thank you very much ph for your post !!! I was still struggling to find answers.

Or, so I will go for that. Is this item the correct SCP I should buy ( very pricey !!!!! ) ?

item 1

And what is the difference with this one ( friendly price 😁 ) ?

item 2

Maybe this one would already be a great improvement, I don't know if there is a big difference between the two that would need to put that much money ? If there is, it would be ok !

Also, after buying, is it easy to mount to the P300? ( no adaptator required or things like that ? )

Thank you for your help !

Edited by thepopol777

• 3 weeks later...

Accoring to the catalogue published by Leitz at the time the colorplans should fit directly without any form of adapter. Whether you would prefer the more expensive variety depends on your tastes and the quality of your slides. A superior projection lens is wasted on material with low resolution and contrast. Also, the screen quality and the room darkness matters. Do try to borrow a lens and see how it works.

p.