M4 an 28mm Elmarit M ASPH

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M4 and just purchases a mint condition 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH for it.

The body has a C shaped ring collar around the spring loaded mounting button that all M cameras have.

The red dot on the lens (which falls on the depth of field ring about where f/22 would be) hits against this ring when trying to turn the lens after seating it against the body and depressing the button. It will not turn far enough to mount.

I also have an M4-2 which does not have the collar surrounding the button and the lens mounts fine.

Anyone know what this is about?

The M4 was manufactured without the lens release collar. Its possible someone added the collar but didn't modify the body for it. I sent my M4 to Don Goldberg who machined the body so the collar would sit at the proper depth and not interfere with mounting or removing the lens. I have a 11606 28 2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH and use it on my M4 without any problems. You may have to remove the collar to be able to use the 28. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by madNbad

Here is my M4 with the 28 2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for the responses. I have also found this from a friend -

"Apparently, it is a known thing with the m3 and the version 2 lens you have.  M4 cameras with guard used leftover m3 bodies.  There is a leica forum article.  If one files the shutter guard or red dot - god forbid- one filed the red dot, it should clear.  Compatibility being one of leicas caunted hallmarks, they missed the mark in this lens/ combo."

I'm considering what to file, the dot (and get ahold of a spare to replace later), or knock the dot off, or file off either part of the dot or the collar.

If you search around on line, there are pix of various M4 versions with and without, and even with one that pulls back the ends of the collar to allow for the lens dot.

Edited by George Collier