Manual Focus & AEL lock

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am trying to expose for the light and lock the exposure using spot metering. When recomposing & adjusting manual focus the AEL is disabled instantly! Does the same if you move the focus point, it resets the exposure value.

Did you find this also? Is this an issue or a "normal" behavior?

Edited by LCM94

Hello, 

to be more precise:

I have set the back button to AEL, meaning that once pressed it locks the exposure (no need to hold on it, the AEL is visible in the OVF).

For any metering mode used it's the same behavior: lock exposure and move the focusing ring or the aperture ring disables the recorded exposure value.

Anyone can please try on their side & let me know?

I have the latest firmware of course on my Q2 Reporter.

Edited by LCM94

The whole system (Q and SL) seems crooked if you recompose after metering. With the SL2-S and manual lenses you also have no AE-L (other than shutter half press). With continuous drive there is no way to avoid re-focus and re-metering after the initial shot. The M10 was behaving differently. Sorry I couldn't help, just a rant from my side.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 5:58 AM, LCM94 said:

Hello, 

to be more precise:

I have set the back button to AEL, meaning that once pressed it locks the exposure (no need to hold on it, the AEL is visible in the OVF).

For any metering mode used it's the same behavior: lock exposure and move the focusing ring or the aperture ring disables the recorded exposure value.

Anyone can please try on their side & let me know?

I have the latest firmware of course on my Q2 Reporter.

I have the Q2 and tried to duplicate your scenario.  I set my camera to manual focus( I normally shoot in AF ) . I have the zoom/lock button set for AE-L lock) If I lock onto a highlight using the zoom lock-button and half-shutter the AE lock icon is visible in the viewfinder.  I then recompose my to my intended image, re-focus manually keeping the half shutter active and the original AE-L remains.  Not sure if this is the concern...

7 hours ago, luetz said:

I have the Q2 and tried to duplicate your scenario.  I set my camera to manual focus( I normally shoot in AF ) . I have the zoom/lock button set for AE-L lock) If I lock onto a highlight using the zoom lock-button and half-shutter the AE lock icon is visible in the viewfinder.  I then recompose my to my intended image, re-focus manually keeping the half shutter active and the original AE-L remains.  Not sure if this is the concern...

Thanks for your input. Actually I would assume that setting AE lock once you are satisfied with the exposure would stay locked until you take your photo. I don’t half press the shutter. AEL works fine with auto focus. I just saw a reply from Leica because I insisted on this being an issue or a bug. With my xt4 AEL is unlocked only when I need it to. Here below the history of the discussion with Leica 👍

« Dean Leica Customer,

After consultation with our camera developers, the behavior you described is known and a solution is being worked on.

We are currently working on a revised firmware that fixes this, please be patient. It is therefore not necessary to return or send in your camera.

Please excuse the inconvenience caused to you.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards 
Peter Brieger 
Leica Camera AG 
Customer Care                                                   

Produkt Support
Am Leitz-Park 5 / D-35578 Wetzlar

www.leica-camera.com / peter.brieger@leica-camera.com

Telephone 06441-2080111

Von: Laurent CLERY-MELIN 
Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. August 2022 22:46
An: info@leica-camera.com
Betreff: Re: Customer Support : Q2 issues 

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. 

Do you half press the shutter button to keep the AE lock on ? When reassigning the back button to AEL I just need to press it once to lock the exposure. I noticed today that it does not unlock if after I keep the shutter button half pressed and adjust focusing. I still loose though the focus peaking feature…

But if do lock the exposure after pressing once the back button and the only changing the focus manually it unlocks which makes it unusable. 

Should I send it the camera back ? To me it looks more related to software than hardware. 

———————

Le 30 août 2022 à 16:50, info@leica-camera.com a écrit :

Dear Leica Customer,

many thanks for your request.

On point 1. i can't find any inconsistencies in our test Q2 cameras, the exposure is retained when I have fixed it, even if I focus manually.

Regarding point 2, the camera needs color information for tracking focus, therefore, this behavior....

Do not hesitate to contact us again if you have further questions.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards 
Peter Brieger 
Leica Camera AG 
Customer Care                                                   

Produkt Support
Am Leitz-Park 5 / D-35578 Wetzlar

www.leica-camera.com / peter.brieger@leica-camera.com

Telephone 06441-2080111

Von: Laurent CLERY-MELIN <> 
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 25. August 2022 16:54
Betreff: Customer Support : Q2 issues 

Hello
I found 2 issues:
1. When setting spot metering and using the manual focus I have an issue. I spot for the light to meter, lock the exposure with the back button reassigned for this. Then when I manually adjust the focus the AE lock is reset thus loosing the metering done previously. 

2. I also noticed that when setting for ex Bw high contrast It reverts back to color when using the Tracking auto focus. 

Thanks for your feedback. »

Edited by LCM94
  • Like 1