My Infrared CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All,

After Investing And Building My CL System (Which Was My Crop M System Basically With Some AF Lenses) I Got Demoralized When I Heard That The ASPC Was Not Being Developed Inhouse At Least. Hence, I Decided I Will IR My Camera! (All Documented In MY Insta Stories) Was Such A Beautifully Designed Machine The Efficiency Inside Matching The Outside! Only 5 Ribbon Cables To Worry About Really, And A Total Of Around 30 Screws Easily Differentiated By Color Codes! 

Once Done I Used My 55-135 With Kolarvision Filter To Only Keep The Visual And IR Spectrum. Removing The Tiny Light Blue Filter On Top Of The Sensor Made It All Spectrum. (I Now Believe After Taking Measurements, I Can Do The Conversion With Just Lens Unmounted, But Please Let Me Waste My Money Do not Break Your Gear!).

So Below Is An Image Of Dubai Skyline (Some Green Trees To Show IR Effect). Shot At ISO 12k If I Remember Correctly, This Due To Early Dawn, I Apologize For The Noise.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

S.T.Keeler.

Edited by Santos
Typo
  • Like 3

While the CL definitely has an IR filter onthe sensor, it isn't that strong. You can use an R72 filter and at ISO 800 f5.6 get 1-2 second exposures. You don't get hand held IR unless you jack up the ISO. One nice thing is the EVF compensates for the filter and you can compose with the filter in place. I like doing IR with WA lenses at medium f stops so you don't have to worry (that much) about the IR focus shift. Not hand holdable though. You are far more daring than I would be, glad it worked out.

CL 23 Summicron, Hoya R72 filter ISO 800 f5.6 2.5 seconds. A little color channel mixing. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Amazing Work Mr. Tommonego! Yeah I Can Be A Bit "Chaotic Good" When I Get Frustrated, The CL Ate It Lol. I Will Try That Filter On It! I Got One For My SFX Film. And The Method Of Converting To IR In Like A Minute That I'm Working On, I Will Test On A TL, Then TL2. And Then Ill Share! I

m Thinking Of Two Methods. One Involves Removing The Filter "Easiest Way Really"  I Will Try To Remove The Coating On The Light Blue Filter Infront Of The Sensor Hoping Its Coated On The None Sensor Facing Side. But I'm So Happy TL/CL Are Being Used And Will Be Used As IR. To This Day I Don't Think I've Seen As Tight Of A Body As The TL2 (Software/Hardware Integration Is Perfect.

S.T.Keeler

An IR filter works with the glass body filtering out the IR light. Removing coating will have only a minimal effect if any. How do you propose doing so without destroying the surface? 

One thing amazes me. Why is a camera suddenly unusable when it has no successor?  The future does not affect the present. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Bill Valenti:

Just started experimenting with IR filter on my M10M, and curious as to why Leica does not have the red line on the lens barrel to accommodate IR focal shift.

Hmmm all my older M lenses have a marking. I suspect after Kodak discontinued HIE in what the late 1970s lens manufacturers figured they could stop putting on the infrared markings, though my 18mm Zeiss built between 2006 and 2016 has the IR marking. I used to use just WA lenses for IR and at least f5.6. My favorite was a 25mm Nikkor on a IIIc, the M8 with the 18 Zeiss comes close just not as small. With a WA and high fstop you don't have to be really concerned with the IR focus point. 

• 2 weeks later...