Pixel Binning Works?

Santos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All,

The Other Day I Woke Up Early And Decided To Do A Test (Sort Of My Hobby). I Wanted To Tell For Sure If What Leica Does Is Pixel Binning (Re-Mosaic) Or Just Simply Down Sampling. I Chose The Same Variables Of ISO 6400 Using Noct And 4 Seconds Exposure. Did Not Have Enough Time To Go Deeper In The Desert (If Wagon Is Stuck Its GameOver Lol). 

After Testing Using Normal Conditions (Daily Life) I Noticed The Noise Profile To Be Different Softer And Larger (No Colorful Pixels In Shadow. I Dont Usually Shoot Color And This Was A Quick Test (Just An Hour Away From Dubai) And I Don't Do Astrophotography (Except The Other Way Around, As A Space Professional :p And When You Go Large Zeiss Mirrors Are Best!)

So Anyways Attached Is An Image Shot With 18MP And 60MP (Sampled To Same Size). I Notice The Colors Being More Resolving And Less Smudgy Using 18MP. But My Eyes Have Been Failing Me For A While So Please Be The Judge. But Yes I Controlled For All Aspects. (Down To Time, Where It Took 5 Seconds To Switch Profiles). Same Presets To Control Human Error. Got Videos Documenting, But They Are Instagram Stories Sadly.

For Those That Are Unfamiliar, I Included A Masterful MSPainintg For Illustration (Not For Sale). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Third Illustration Is Not How A Re-Mosiac Usually Works Unless You Get Far Enough And Believe The Algorithm :p. Think Of It As The Second Box But All Reds Are Read As One And So On. Which Gives The Same Effect Of The Fourth One. I Am Planning To Meet With A Higher-Up In Leica And Confirm (But I Don't Expect Much! XD Took Me A 2 Hour Convo For Them To Say Its A Sony Sensor In The M11 And Indirectly When I Had A Sony Logoed Image From A Deconstructed M11. Oh And A Contractor I Know Just Told Me 2 Big Leica Bodies With One Bigger But Similar One. Rumors Though And You Didn't Hear It From Me!).

18MP Mode.

60Mp Mode:

Your Opinions Will Be Much Appreciated! I Also Noticed I Could Pull And Push More With 18 MP. However, I Decided Against That For The Purpose Of The Test And Worked With 60mp Till Colors Broke. Sorry Bout Lack Of Skill, My First Attempt And Will Probably Be Last Lol.

S.T.Keeler.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jakontil said:

Aaah yeah i remember these tests and what drove me to shoot at 36mpx all the time… saw in your ig story

Yeah A Was Fun Morning! I Now Stick To 36MP Too! Unless Its For Big Prints, And 18 For The Vibe :p. 6 Profiles Set 18-32-60 BNW And Desaturated Natural. To Fully Utilize It! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Santos said:

Yeah A Was Fun Morning! I Now Stick To 36MP Too! Unless Its For Big Prints, And 18 For The Vibe :p. 6 Profiles Set 18-32-60 BNW And Desaturated Natural. To Fully Utilize It! 

Please stop capitalizing every letter. It is hard to read.

M-DNG and S-DNG show more aliasing than L-DNG. The difference may not be relevant for some, but L-DNG seems to create the best image quality.

Leica does not use pixel binning to compute M-DNG and S-DNG images. Pixel binning does not require a demosaic/remosaic pass.

• Like 5

Hey SrMI,

I Really Apologize About My Iteration. Its Sort Of A Thing Head Spaghetti Decided Is The Way Lol. If I May Ask More Also Any Source You Have For That? I Really Wanna Learn More. But So Far Details Are Scarce On Algorithms Used. However When Replicating Outside, I Tested My Own Software For Pixel Shift, And Binning (I Use It For Scientific Purposes). But I Focused On Pixel Binning, I Like To Call It Mosaic Although Might Not Be The Right Term, This Due To My Algorithm's  (For Science) Taking 12 Pixels And Using That As One Pixel Reading. It Sounds Like Yeah We Are Just Resizing, But Filling Up Some Info In The Middle, You Can Have What Id Call The Closest Thing To Pixel Binning.

I Didn't Notice Much Aliasing, I Guess I Will Work With More Samples. Because That Would Lead More To The Resizing Instead Of Binning. However, I Want To Also Test If Algorithmically Produced Binning Samples From A Tool Would Introduce Aliasing. What Makes This Sus To Me Is Its So Easy To Anti-Alias By Just Introducing Pixel To Sensor Ratio (Correcting It That Is). I Think If Leica Went The Route Of Resizing, That's The First Thing They'd Look At Or At Least I Would And They Are Better Lol.

But From My Knowledge And A Convo With Some People At Leica (I Know Not A Source) Actual Binning Is Used.. (Unless You Read This And Lied To Me, Mr. Widowmaker Lol)

You Seem Knowledgeable In Sensors! Please Lets Chat Some More On The Side! If You Can Tolerate Me Like My Payload Team At Work Lol (I Think They Blocked Me On Teams :p).

S.T.Keeler

Edited by Santos
Grammatical Mistakes, Added Aliasing Part

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, OThomas said:

I’ll be honest, if I hadn’t read this I wouldn’t have noticed. 

Ahahaha Yeah, I Get That A Lot At Work Lol. Official Letters Are Sometimes Sent Through Another Person To Fix The Way I Iterate Lol! But I Really Take No Offense, I Got A Few Plusses With My Neuro Divergence That Make Up For This :p. 

• Like 2