135mm HEKTOR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a new member I'm unsure if this is the proper forum. If it is not please redirect me to the correct one. I have a 3f and would like to purchase a 135mm lens. HEKTORS appear quite affordable however several reviews state that it is a poor lens. Any information or opinions of the HEKTOR vs ELMAR will be very much appreciated.

It won't be as sharp and flare-resistant as a modern expensive 135mm, but "poor" is very relative. On a IIIf, on film, stopped down to f/8 or f/11 it's a very decent lens, and you really can't go wrong for the price. I think it's definitely worth having one. If you get a Visoflex housing you can use it for macro work, too!

It will certainly show up any misadjustment in your rangefinder, though, being such a long focal length, but that's fixable.

Edited by qqphot
  • Like 2

I have inherited a 135mm Hektor lens (and a IIIf and some other lenses) from my late father, and it is a good lens. Make sure you find a copy with clean glass, and I am sure you won't be disappointed. More modern 135mm lenses may be marginally better, but I also have a 135mm Elmar lens (in screw mount) as well as a 135mm f3,4 Apo lens (in M mount) and while both are very good indeed, you would be hard pressed to find any significant differences between those three lenses in the results they produce (in normal use, that is).

Andy

Here's another taken with a 135mm Hektor adapted on an M3. You do have to focus carefully.