firmware

littalm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently received an M8 that still has the firmware 1.108 from 2007. i have attempted the last two updates but the after a series of countdowns the screen shows black with red and green spots and a top bar indicating iso. The updates dont take.

Any idea what this signifies? Has anyone used an M8 without the updates? Does anyone have suggestions on a person who can do repairs?

Does the camera still work after its update adventures? If so, leave it as is. Later updates mainly added   profiles  for recent lenses and little else. The camera is still serviced by Leica with a caveat for some unavailable spare parts.

37 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Later updates mainly added   profiles  for recent lenses and little else.

True, Jaap, but 'earlier' updates provided the Discreet Shutter function where, after taking a shot, the shutter would wait to recock until the finger was taken off the shutter releases.  Quite useful when shooting in quiet surroundings where the loud, steel on steel scraping sound of the recock could cause heads to jerk up and stare grumpily in your direction.  (Yes I might be slightly exaggerating. 😇)

Pete.

54 minutes ago, littalm said:

I recently received an M8 that still has the firmware 1.108 from 2007. i have attempted the last two updates but the after a series of countdowns the screen shows black with red and green spots and a top bar indicating iso. The updates dont take.

Any idea what this signifies? Has anyone used an M8 without the updates? Does anyone have suggestions on a person who can do repairs?

Just to check: I assume you have followed the firmware instructions exactly?  It's particularly important to unzip the firmware file after downloading and place it in the root directory of the SD card.  (Apologies for asking but I recall a number of people having difficulty upgrading because they'd missed steps.

Pete.

• Like 1

I just updated mine to 2.whatever last week. I emailed Leica customer support and get the file directly from them as I didn't know if I could trust the places they were found online. 

Loaded the update file on to a 2gb SD card and the updated went fine. Allowed me to use SDHC and now variable ISO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1