Longer lenses on M10?

Robinyuill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there. I'm thinking how to go about getting something longer than the 135 Apo for use on my M10. This would only be used very occasionally so I don't want to spend a fortune on the lenses. Is it possible to use older Leitz 280 f4.8 Telyt via some means? I know you could get a R lens to M mount and use the R lenses but they can be quite expensive in the long run or go for maybe a 250 f4 3 cam etc. Any thoughts? Regards, Robin.

Yes you can use it. However, you will need either a Visoflex housing, or other tube the equivalent length of a Visoflex housing. I routinely use one for some nature shots on my M (film) and various digital bodies via adapters.

Sure, it can be done but you do end-up with not the best possible contraption. A friend donated me his Canon A1 equipment for my obsolete camera display collection, including a f/4 70-210 zoom lens. For fun, I purchased a Fotodiox adapter (FD to M) and used that lens with my M-P and EVF2. Pretty good results. I also used that lens withy new SL2, (the Fotodiox adapter connect to the SL2 via the normal M to L adapter.Also pretty good results. I checked the price of the 70-210 lens and it can be had for under $50.00, I assume that other such lenses can also be purchased for very little money.

• Like 1

...Is it possible to use older Leitz 280 f4.8 Telyt ...

Hi Robin

Keep in mind this lens has a minimum focus of 6 metres, which can be a bit unwieldy.  The optics are good though.

I have one but barely use it.

You might like to get a Nikon or Canon adapter and find a suitable tele lens by those companies.  

I use a lot of Nikkor Zooms on my M-P typ 240....they work very well.

It's a lot of fun using other brand lenses on my M-P.

Just for example here is a picture with the Telyt 280mm on M8...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

straight out of camera...no editing at all...just resize

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

I use many longer lenses on my M10 mainly with Visoflex 020 or Visoflex III, very good with Telyt lenses (280/400/560) that I use for long.

With 020 I prefer using Leica R lenses I possess, Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 and the best of best 4/280.

Robin, in your place, I'd search for one of 300mm SLR lenses to be used with adapter on M10 (+ 020) : Olympus OM, Nikkor, Pentax, etc.

I use also these 300mm below :

4/300 Nikkor AI is nice handling and smooth in use

6.3/300 Takumar is so light, a pleasure to carry around.

edit...

I see above that David has same idea.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Years ago I used this Leica device called a Televit with my 280 and M body which made focusing quicker and easier. With adapters I also used it on a R8, Nikon D100 and Leicaflex SL2. They occasionally show up on Ebay, ut have become somewhat expensive.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a quick thought...in order to use the 280/4.8 with the Televit, a small aluminum adapter is required to mount the lens head to the focusing unit (sorry I don't recall the Leica number). Unfortunately the ring adapter is really tough to find and expensive when you do. I remember a few years back S.K. Grimes produced a limited number of reproductions of the adapter and they flew out the door. In any case, if you decide to get one of these Televits, and the seller doesn't provide the adapter ring for your lens, come to this forum seeking one, you might get lucky.