35mm Summicron vs (1970) vs 35mm Summarit 2.5 (2007)

lebanese blonde

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/25/2022 at 6:08 AM, Michael Geschlecht said:

...A technical point:

2.4 is the 1/2 stop between 2 & 2,8

2.5 is 2/3 of a stop slower than 2. Which is the same as 1/3 stop faster than 2.8

The difference between 1/2 of a stop & 2/3 of a stop is 1/6 of a stop. Which is not very much...

As far as the Summarits are concerned, however, I believe I'm correct in saying that according to Erwin Puts (who conducted accurate tests with all the modern-era Summarit lenses) both the v1 and v2 versions were, in fact, f2.4 lenses even although the v1 range was given the f2.5 designation.

Philip.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, lebanese blonde said:

...I don't understand how / why Leica got rid of the focus tab on the 50mm v5...

At a guess because there was enough room for Leica's more usual milled-ring approach to be utilised?

In point of fact if we ignore the infinity-lock push-button idea - a concept which, in principle, dates back to the original Leica 1 (A) - which was used on both the collapsible v1 and the 'regular' (i.e. non Dual-Range) Rigid v2 the '79-'94 v4 is, AFAIK, the only 50mm Summicron to have featured a focus tab and that decision was almost certainly due to there being not enough thickness / space on the 'focus-ring' for the milled-ring profile to be utilised on that particular lens design.

I could well be mistaken but - the Leitz/Minolta 40mm Summicron / Rokkor lenses apart - I can't think of any other Leica lens longer than 35mm which has a focus-tab. I'm sure someone out there will correct me if I'm wrong!

Philip.

EDIT : Argh! Brain-Fart Time yet again! Of course I'm mistaken; some of the newer 50s such as the Summilux ASPH and the APO Summicron use a tab. Apologies!

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

To keep you guys updated:

i made a mistake and sold my v2 Summicron. It didn't take long until i realized my failure so i took the money i got from the sale and bought a Summicron v3 :D I really love the aperture ring compared to the v2 and i really do like how the lens itself looks.

I was considering buying a v4 but i think the difference in image quality and rendering is not that big to justify almost double the price. 

To my surprise: i think there`s a difference in the images between v2 and v3. I can't compare them side by side but when i look at the images that i took with my v2 these seemed to be quite cooler / more blue. The v3 looks a bit warmer and glowy highlights in the out of focus area don't seem to be that strong. Since both of these lenses were/are 50+ years old this is maybe due to the fact that they have maybe seen some use and wear over time.

For now i'm pretty happy with the new lens :) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 9.10.2022 um 16:23 schrieb lebanese blonde:

I was considering buying a v4 but i think the difference in image quality and rendering is not that big to justify almost double the price. 

It is a big difference, I owned both and shoot thousands of images with them. V4 has more punch, more vibrant colors, lets say its more modern compared to V3. Also Black and white look way different. Both are excellent, but I like the Summilux 35 ASPH (pre Fle) more which is a jewel. It still has a classic rendering , medium contrast and not as harsch as V4.

• Thanks 1

Thanks für your answer!

It`s funny, because there`s a new twist to my lens-swapping-selling-buying-story :D

I bought a v3 like i already mentioned and was quite happy with it (besides the pretty long focus throw) but i hadn't cancelled my search alerts on various used gear platforms. Long story short: i got a very good offer for a 35mm v4 Summicron in mint condition that was freshly serviced by Leica in spring 2022. I bought it for a very good price concerning the condition and the fresh CLA and i was able to sell my v3 with profit.

Im very happy right now because the v4 was the lens i wanted to buy almost 10 years ago when i bought my M6 but i didn't because it was about 1200€. 

1 hour ago, lebanese blonde said:

Thanks für your answer!

It`s funny, because there`s a new twist to my lens-swapping-selling-buying-story :D

I bought a v3 like i already mentioned and was quite happy with it (besides the pretty long focus throw) but i hadn't cancelled my search alerts on various used gear platforms. Long story short: i got a very good offer for a 35mm v4 Summicron in mint condition that was freshly serviced by Leica in spring 2022. I bought it for a very good price concerning the condition and the fresh CLA and i was able to sell my v3 with profit.

Im very happy right now because the v4 was the lens i wanted to buy almost 10 years ago when i bought my M6 but i didn't because it was about 1200€. 

I hope you have now cancelled your 'wanted' advert, before you're  tempted to sell again. 😉