Summaron f5.6 - 28mm at 60MP on a M11

Petrichor

On 8/23/2022 at 1:43 AM, Jeff S said:

In this case, Roger merely dispels the notion that high MP cameras out-resolve lenses.  Rather, except for poor (he uses the term crappy) lenses, a higher MP camera will enhance the image and lens character.  This has indeed been my experience using older lenses on my increasingly higher resolution M digital bodies, from M8.2 to now the M10-R and M10 Monochrom.  

I also agree with the above.

at the risk of going off topic and incurring the wrath of the forum gods, I love using reputable FSU lenses on my GFX (at the full 100mp resolution). IQ is very usable (for portraits) esp after stopping down by 1 stop or so. Given how the FSU lenses handle the GFX, I dont see why 60mp would trouble the summaron 

5 hours ago, sometimesmaybe said:

I also agree with the above.

at the risk of going off topic and incurring the wrath of the forum gods, I love using reputable FSU lenses on my GFX (at the full 100mp resolution). IQ is very usable (for portraits) esp after stopping down by 1 stop or so. Given how the FSU lenses handle the GFX, I dont see why 60mp would trouble the summaron 

The GFX/G-mount is a great platform for all kinds of adapted 35mm lenses should your use case be close subjects at wider apertures. Very nice look. Even with the thick GFX sensor stack, central sharpness is really good like you say. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Lets see.

28mm at f/5.6 gives effective aperture of 5mm. Assuming we are looking to resolve green light with wavelength of 550nm, the angular resolving power of that lens is 1.22x550nm/5mm=0.000134 rad.

Therefore minimum separation on the sensor plane that is resolved = 28mm*tan(0.000134)=3.757e-6m=3.757 microns.

Which is close to the pixel size of a 60mp sensor.

By this estimate, the lens just barely makes it.

Works great for me...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, DOJ said:

I am interested in this lens. But does anyone know why Leica doesn’t make it in black? Why only a very limited run?

A black paint (so it brasses with use) version of this lens would be perfect. 

Because the reissue is for the common version which was in silver, and the black is to attract more profits 😀😀😀

47 minutes ago, DOJ said:

😔 sigh 

I could go for this just for fun. But it doesn’t have the charm of the Leica glass.

If Leica made it like this at $3,000 bucks retail they couldn’t keep them in the shelves. That would be a fair price. 

I once had the chance to get the black, but i think i love the summaron being in silver but each to their own

just beautiful in black too aint it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DOJ said:

😔 sigh 

I could go for this just for fun. But it doesn’t have the charm of the Leica glass.

If Leica made it like this at $3,000 bucks retail they couldn’t keep them in the shelves. That would be a fair price. 

Love mine in silver too. Love the finish is a homage to the original. And it’s one of the most beautiful built and finished current Leica lenses in my book.

Just like the 50mm 1.2 Noctilux re-issue is black (apart from the very limited silver edition), which was the first Leica lens made in black aluminium finish. So again, a great nod to the history of Leica lenses.

- Mads