APO-SUMMICRON-M 1:2/35MM ASPH. images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SL2, APO Summicron-M 35mm @f2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10-P, APO Summicron-M 35mm @f2.0

• Like 1

M11, APO Summicron-M 35mm

• Like 3

M11, APO Summicron-M 35mm @f4.0

• Like 3

M11, APO Summicron-M 35mm @f4.0

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 12:29 AM, oworbs said:

Hi everyone, 

I posted this in its own thread but probably here someone can help me! (This problem is on a M10-P)

I had the luck to be next on the list for the new Apo Summicron 35mm lens and am in love with it, there is just one little thing that throws me off so far. When you pass the 0,7m distance on the focusing mount to be in the range of 0,7-0,3m focusing you have to use LV or the Visoflex to focus your shot.This is because the rangefinder cannot focus under 0,7m. That is fine, the thing is that the LV zoom option, that auto zooms in to where you set the focus cross on the screen is disabled or does not work. I thought this was a firmware issue as the lens is new but this is not the case. Now it is cumbersome, when using the amazing new close up feature of the lens, you have to manually zoom in with the thumbwheel when you turn the focus mount and anytime you lightly press the shutter to have the lv zoom out again to frame your shot you have to manually do the whole thing again to correct focus if needed. Also I usually have exposure correction set to my thumbwheel wich I now have to set to LV Zoom, so this is an additional feature I loose because of this process. 

Does anyone know about this issue? I would advise Leica to fix this through a FW Update so the auto Zoom is activated in any focusing range. 

Thank you 

I’m still considering this lens.

Surely, if you have the lens set at, say 750mm, you then move focus ring activating auto-zoom which will stay on as you focus down to under 700mm?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

I’m still considering this lens.

Surely, if you have the lens set at, say 750mm, you then move focus ring activating auto-zoom which will stay on as you focus down to under 700mm?

Yes by now i know that there are two ways to activate the zoom function if you're in the close up zone, which I both frequently use:

If you are close to the 0,7m mark (meaning focusing nearer than that) you can simply pop the focus ring into the zone above 0,7m for the auto-zoom to come in and it will stay on if you focus back closer.

If you are focused very near, making it a hassle to turn the focus ring all the way over, say from 0,3 to 0,7+m you can simply press the "focus button" in front of the camera to pop in and out of the zoom function. 

As I mainly used the rangefinder in my normal photography i never used that button before so I didn't try it by myself before posting my question here lol but its name makes its function pretty obvious lol. Honestly after a few hours using that button its just fine with the viewfinder....

Apart from that I must say that I absolutely love this lens and I would recommend anyone who can get their hands on one to get one!!!

heres a snapshot of my cousin from today M10-P APO-Summicron 35 @ f2.0 

Edited by oworbs
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Some impressions from my last trip to IBIZA 

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAt8n8

All images taken with the Apo35M and M11

• Like 4

13 hours ago, oworbs said:

heres a snapshot of my cousin from today M10-P APO-Summicron 35 @ f2.0 

I'm a bit curious about the animal in the background. Is that a deer or something? 😄

• Like 10

On 3/6/2023 at 10:41 AM, evikne said:

I'm a bit curious about the animal in the background. Is that a deer or something? 😄

Lol it is a deer sculpture at a Restaurant in Gstaad in Switzerland…. Would have been cool if it was real tho 😀

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

M10M with App-Summicron M 35
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

M11 @ Café Leitz Wetzlar & APO35M

• Like 6

I see you…
@ Wetzlar

M11 & APO35M & f2 ISO 400 1/750s

• Like 4

A morning cup of coffee and then all of a sudden, sun rays illuminating my wife's vase of flowers. Couldn't resist the temptation of a "macro" shot to start the day :) 

• Like 4

When I visited Leica in Wetzlar I tested this lens and this week it arrived at my dealer whom I had asked to notice me. I never paid so much for a lens, because all the lenses above  €5000 thus far have a too small domain of use. This lens covers a very broad spectrum and also covers all the situations and targets where I used my three different 35's for, plus the ~ macro possibility. I'm very happy with it and traded in my Summilux 35 FLE for it; because I can come closer with the APO, the 1.4 for selective focus has become of relative value. For my film photography the 39mm filter size saves me a lot of ado. When the Iens was launched two years ago, I was very skeptical about the APO thing and judged it as a  commercial joke. In the cropped detail of this photo however, I find the lens very convincing in color separation and especially in the green nuances of the foliage. Last but not least I find this the first Karbe lens which is sharp but draws still mild and natural; it has the nicest bo-keh of all the other Leica 35's, sort of together with the Summaron 35 from the early sixties.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 11

On 4/19/2023 at 3:23 PM, Jan1985 said:

This picture I could have made with a Canon 500d and a 50mm 1.8 for 100 bucks.

How does the math work? (50mm lens, with a 1.6x crop factor, when the desired angle-of-view is that of a 35mm lens?)

On 8/21/2022 at 8:55 PM, Herr Barnack said:

+1, thank you.

Uh, no - you're missing the point.  It's not about the price tag.

I cannot speak for others - but for me, using M cameras and lenses inspires me to work harder, to do more and to endeavor to elevate my photography to the level of other Leica photographers like Jacob Aue Sobol, Ragnar Axelsson, Peter Turnley and Constantine Manos.  That alone is enough reason for me to work with Leica M gear.

All the above, and Leica M cameras and lenses are tremendously enjoyable and satisfying to use and they produce stunning images when properly brought to bear by the photgrapher - so why not use them??

The images this guy produces with his M Monochrom and 35 Summilux inspire me to work harder, to try to get to his level of skill, to create my own rendering of the kind of beauty he creates - look at them: 

And have a look at his book - https://www.amazon.com/Ragnar-Axelsson-Mary-Ellen-Mark/dp/993542040X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2U30YRW99YWSK&keywords=ragnar+axelsson+faces+of+the+north&qid=1661110901&s=books&sprefix=ragnar+axelsson+faces+of+the+north%2Cstripbooks%2C99&sr=1-2

And what is the point here in a topic about the APO 35?