Purple fringing with the M11

gotium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Why wouldn’t Leica take advantage of the SL digital platform?

Because some customers want the best optical quality perhaps. How to be sure if lenses are more or less massively corrected by software? Some people are more interested in character than artificial perfection. Glad there are M lenses for that. 

19 minutes ago, lct said:

Because some customers want the best optical quality perhaps. How to be sure if lenses are more or less massively corrected by software? Some people are more interested in character than artificial perfection. Glad there are M lenses for that. 

Nobody said or implied “massively.”  M lenses (and formerly S lenses) are not subject to the same competitive price constraints as SL lenses. Costs rise exponentially for every incremental performance increase beyond a certain point.  Karbe explained how Leica had to reinvent the whole design and manufacturing process for the SL lens line to meet performance and cost goals.  I just don’t think it unreasonable that they would also seize every opportunity to squeeze out the best performance using internal camera potential, especially if practically invisible to the customer.  Others have confirmed that this is the case for the SL zooms (at least the SL16-35), even though customers expect the best from them as well as the primes.  The Summicrons may not need correction since one design decision was to make them big and uniform in size, especially benefitting the SL35, which Karbe said could have been the smallest of the Summicrons at that point.  The APO M lenses are marvels for their diminutive size, and the prices are commensurate. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Maybe not that good (at least the SL zooms are not). Why wouldn’t Leica take advantage of the SL digital platform? This is one way SL lenses can be made less expensively than S lenses, since the optical VF in the S system would reveal distortions.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/253515-does-the-sl-lens-use-digital-correction/

Let’s see what Leica can do with the 21/24 SL Summicrons, if they ever arrive.

Jeff

The zooms do apply distortion correction and perhaps vignetting correction as well. Can't remember for sure. The 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, and 90mm primes do not. Those are the ones I have owned, so they are the ones I can speak to.

1 minute ago, Jared said:

The zooms do apply distortion correction and perhaps vignetting correction as well. Can't remember for sure. The 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, and 90mm primes do not. Those are the ones I have owned, so they are the ones I can speak to.

Understood, and likely one of the benefits their large-ish size, along with uniform barrel size, providing even more room for design flexibility for the shorter SL primes like the SL35. Personally, I would have preferred smaller lenses, even at higher prices, and with some minor software tweaks (I only use SL lenses on the SL2), but Leica knows its markets.

Jeff

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, Jewl said:

Any tips or tricks?

Buy an APO?  😀  (sorry couldn't resist)

I was having a lot bigger issue with this last year with the 28 'lux.  Don't have a FLE, but with the 28mm seems far better controlled after the firmware updates... but scenes and lighting change so could just be my imagination. 

7 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

Buy an APO?  😀  (sorry couldn't resist)

I was having a lot bigger issue with this last year with the 28 'lux.  Don't have a FLE, but with the 28mm seems far better controlled after the firmware updates... but scenes and lighting change so could just be my imagination. 

you know, I'd swear I'm seeing purple fringing with the 50/2 apo, even if it's a lot less than with that 28 'lux. In retrospect it was probably all there with the M10 too, but somehow it's much easer to see on the M11.