Dust on sensor on new M11? anything to worry about?

Freddiew83

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys! just got a new m11. only time the sensor has been exposed is when I put on the lens for the first time. In the upper left or the sky you'll see two round spots. is this a permanent thing or can this be remedied? New to all this, so any help or insight would be appreciated! I know that dust is normal, but is it so normal on a brand new cam? Thanks guys 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Freddiew83
Added a talking point
  • Like 1

I think it is unpredictable when dust come in. most mirrorless camera softer from it.

You can prevent dust on the sensor by changing lenses with the camera off. When changing lenses try to face the down, not up to the sky.

Unfortunately dust is often in the air and can't be seen.

I have a Giotto blower that I will use when I see dust on the sensor.

In some cases you need a more extreme approach with a wet wipe. I usually take this with me on travel. better to have it and not to use it. It is best you get a liquid that can be taken on the plane...

I would try a good blower first...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With an M camera, dust on the sensor is pretty much inevitable. 

The two spots in your image are not a serious issue IMO - a blower bulb may remove them.  If not, I would consider them a minor annoyance and clone them out in post processing.  Down the road when you have more dust on your sensor and need to clean it, you can get all of it by using sensor cleaning fluid and a sensor cleaning swab.

I have to clean my sensor 2-3 times a year; for my M-P 240, that means I have self cleaned my sensor 15-20 times in the seven years I have had it.  I have never had a problem result from doing it myself and at a cost $50 a cleaning for having a "professional" do it, I have saved a chunk of cash.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

FFS, you all need to stop using unfiltered blowers like the Rocket. That just blows more dust up into the camera. Get a filtered blower like an EyeLead. Makes a huge difference.

I have been using unfiltered Rocket blower for many years without any issues. Of course, YMMV.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I have been using unfiltered Rocket blower for many years without any issues. Of course, YMMV.

Why use a blower that ingests dust only to blow it back out again? I guess if you’re in a very sterile environment without much air movement then filtration may be less needed.

When I used the Rocket, it would blow off the big chunks of dust from the sensor but it never fully got rid of the pesky very small dust spots that are really annoying at f/11-16, especially on a monochrome sensor like the M10M.

I still recommend you try one — it’s really good at fully clearing off everything from the sensor with only a few puffs. 

If that is your problem, use the GreenClean vacuum system. Works perfectly. In any case, get the loose dust and bits off before you try any other cleaning (pollen and oil can be sticky) If one piece of grit is sharp like a mini-grain of sand, it might scratch your sensor when dragged over it. One thing: Don't lean over the sensor whilst cleaning: You shed little flakes of skin and bits of eyelash which you don't want to drop on your sensor.

10 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Why use a blower that ingests dust only to blow it back out again? I guess if you’re in a very sterile environment without much air movement then filtration may be less needed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Why use a blower that ingests dust only to blow it back out again? I guess if you’re in a very sterile environment without much air movement then filtration may be less needed.

Mainly because a decent quality blower doesn’t blow dust back out. Giottos and other good brands have a valve and filter to prevent that. It’s meant to blow off dust that is relatively loose. Other methods are for more stubborn things stuck to the sensor lime wet cleaning.

3 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Mainly because a decent quality blower doesn’t blow dust back out. Giottos and other good brands have a valve and filter to prevent that. It’s meant to blow off dust that is relatively loose. Other methods are for more stubborn things stuck to the sensor lime wet cleaning.

Rocket has a one-way valve but no filtration, though, right? So it’s not sucking dust back up from the tip, but ingests dust from the rear. Rocket’s the brand I referenced — any filtered brand is better.

Edited by hdmesa