Leica M Lenses with Techart Rendering

Appmax

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I currently have two main camera systems.   The first is a Leica M11 with multiple Leica lenses.   The second is a Sony A1.   I use the Leica system most of the time as I much prefer the camera ergonomics, Leica lens quality and system image rendering.   I mainly use the Sony for action and wild life photography.  

There are times when the autofocus on the Sony A1 would be really helpful, such as when taking quick shots at group events.  That said, I still prefer the detail and image rendering of my Leica lenses.   I have a Techart and it works remarkably well in terms of autofocus - including eye focus while using my Sony A1.  

My question is whether the Techart impacts the optical output from the lens to the sensor (in terms of detail, rendering, bokeh, etc).  I understand the two camera sensors are different and will not yield the exact same image even with the same lens.  That said, if the output of the lens is degraded using the adapter, the image will be negatively impacted regardless of the sensor.  

Any insights would be appreciated.

As long as the Techart adapter keeps the lens square to the sensor and isn't introducing any stray reflections, there is no way for it to impact the result vs. a manual focus adapter. I'd be shocked if the Techart had any impact on the optical output. There can be differences from cover glass, micro lenses, etc. between the A1 and the M11, but the Techart isn't a contributor to that.

According to Fred Miranda, at his forum, where a question of this nature was recently posted, if the M-mount lens has FLE, a.k.a. Floating Lens Elements, close range performance will be less than optimal, when the lens is manually set at infinity focus, and auto-focused while on the adapter. The specific question was asked, regarding the Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM, which has Floating Lens Elements, but should apply to other lenses with floating elements.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1769124

I hope that answering this is not too far “outside my lane,” because I have not used such adapters, and do not use Sony cameras. My interest in using M lenses, on other systems, is because my wife and I use Nikon DSLRs, and she also uses a Z6. (I am still considering adding a Nikon Z-system camera.)

Edited by RexGig0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

According to Fred Miranda, at his forum, where a question of this nature was recently posted, if the M-mount lens has FLE, a.k.a. Floating Lens Elements, close range performance will be less than optimal, when the lens is manually set at infinity focus, and auto-focused while on the adapter. The specific question was asked, regarding the Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM, which has Floating Lens Elements, but should apply to other lenses with floating elements.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1769124

I hope that answering this is not too far “outside my lane,” because I have not used such adapters, and do not use Sony cameras. My interest in using M lenses, on other systems, is because my wife and I use Nikon DSLRs, and she also uses a Z6. (I am still considering adding a Nikon Z-system camera.)

Ooh, that’s a good point. While the adapter isn’t affecting the output of the lens per se, it is complicating the use of a particular feature of some lenses—varying the spacing between elements as you shift focus from infinity to close focus. You would lose (or complicate) the FLE feature.

4 hours ago, Jared said:

As long as the Techart adapter keeps the lens square to the sensor and isn't introducing any stray reflections,

Right. As long as. 

Fwiw - I used Contax G lenses on my Sony for awhile via techart adapter - however, the adapter did indeed let in stray light (it wasn't flocked well enough). I couldn't get it fully resolved. This resulted in a weird sort of halo in all of my images - it was worse the wider angle it got. 45mm was passable but I could see it. 35, 28 mm were essentially unusable - the adapter ended up being used only on the 90, where the problem was not visible. It was sort of worth it as I had a great and small 2.8 Zeiss 90mm on the Sony camera - ended up being a lighter kit than an M with a 90mm. 

• 3 months later...
Am 16.8.2022 um 02:06 schrieb Jared:

Ooh, that’s a good point. While the adapter isn’t affecting the output of the lens per se, it is complicating the use of a particular feature of some lenses—varying the spacing between elements as you shift focus from infinity to close focus. You would lose (or complicate) the FLE feature.

Just to understand it: a non fle lens does only move inside or outside the camera while focusing and the distance of the elements inside the lens is always the same? And a fle lens does also change the distance of the elements inside the lens while focusing? If I understood it right, this is an interesting question while using these adapters…

4 hours ago, Krusty said:

Just to understand it: a non fle lens does only move inside or outside the camera while focusing and the distance of the elements inside the lens is always the same? And a fle lens does also change the distance of the elements inside the lens while focusing? If I understood it right, this is an interesting question while using these adapters…

Yes, you understand it correctly. Non-FLE lenses move all elements at once closer to or farther from the sensor. They may do it internally to the lens body, or they may actually move the entire lens body, but either way the lenses are moving as a single unit. FLE lenses also change the spacing between elements. Usually one group of elements move a little more or a little less than all the rest of the elements as you focus.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Jared:

Yes, you understand it correctly. Non-FLE lenses move all elements at once closer to or farther from the sensor. They may do it internally to the lens body, or they may actually move the entire lens body, but either way the lenses are moving as a single unit. FLE lenses also change the spacing between elements. Usually one group of elements move a little more or a little less than all the rest of the elements as you focus.

Ok but then it is clear that the adapter does not work with fle lenses….. is there an overview of fle m lenses?

I don't see significant differences between FLE lenses and others the way i use my Techart adapter. In both cases i prefocus the lens manually till the target looks sharp enough in the EVF and i let the adapter nail the focus.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb lct:

I don't see significant differences between FLE lenses and others the way i use my Techart adapter. In both cases i prefocus the lens manually till the target looks sharp enough in the EVF and i let the adapter nail the focus.

okay… a good idea…. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:26 PM, lct said:

This is, in fact, the only way it is recommended to use the Techart AF adapter.

• Like 1