Is this another botch-up or is it 'real' ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On e-bay!  for sale a Leica 2 serial number 320129. It is likely to have been made in 1939 as a Leica 2, one of a batch of 200.
I do not like the appearance of the shutter button nor the button shroud collar Looks very FED to me , but the body looks kosher.

I compare this with one which finishes a few days before which is shown as Leica 2  of 1939 ser.nr. 314103 also from a batch of 200. 
The difference is glaring.
What may be your thoughts?
D. Lox.

Edited by Jerry Attrik
Missed second pra.

I think I have found the one you are referring to https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165627078245?hash=item269024a665:g:GsIAAOSw7Zli5pbD

the shutter button looks like an old soft release I have on the screw Leica. I think it is a British accessory, I have seen a picture of one in a Leica collectors book.

looks ok to me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pyrogallol

4 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

I think I have found the one you are referring to https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165627078245?hash=item269024a665:g:GsIAAOSw7Zli5pbD

the shutter button looks like an old soft release I have on the screw Leica. I think it is a British accessory, I have seen a picture of one in a Leica collectors book.

looks ok to me.

I searched for Leica ll and nothing came up!

Never seen that shutter button before but it does indeed look like an accessory to turn it into a normal cable release thread - the other tell tale is the rangefinder cam which the photos show is correct and the rest of the camera looks correct.

Thank you Pyrogallol, I did not know that there were Leicas with that pattern of release button.  Life is s lifetime lesson of learning.
I do know that some parts of KIEV cameras have been used to repair Contax rangefinder cameras.
If only the shutter release spindle is used it can cause misfiring  because somewhere the spindle is a smidgin too short.
Thank you all for your responses
D.Lox

It's certainly genuine, whatever that release collar is, but condition could be better and there's no way of knowing whether the rangefinder contrast is good or the mechanism is smooth or the shutter speeds are close to spec or how good that Summar is (many have hazy or scratched glass) or whether the Weston is usefully accurate (many aren't), and the seller doesn't offer returns.