Portra 160, 400, 800 - differences

LocalHero1953

• 5 months later...

Reviving this thread in the light of increased experience with all three.....

I am not comfortable with Portra 800. I find it difficult to tame the colours in the shadows and the stronger contrast. This is not a dislike, just a preference in comparison to 160 and 400. I recently shot two rolls one after the other, 800 and 160, in bright sunshine on the coast of France and found I much preferred the 160 for its gentler colours, especially when shot with the light (for some reason shooting against the light made it harder to adjust the faintest colour casts). I'm still mulling over 160 vs 400, and there is time for me to revise my opinion of 800 - I have more in stock!

Portra 160 can do saturated colours as well: I have just posted some in the I Like Film thread.

3 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Reviving this thread in the light of increased experience with all three.....

I am not comfortable with Portra 800. I find it difficult to tame the colours in the shadows and the stronger contrast. This is not a dislike, just a preference in comparison to 160 and 400. I recently shot two rolls one after the other, 800 and 160, in bright sunshine on the coast of France and found I much preferred the 160 for its gentler colours, especially when shot with the light (for some reason shooting against the light made it harder to adjust the faintest colour casts). I'm still mulling over 160 vs 400, and there is time for me to revise my opinion of 800 - I have more in stock!

Portra 160 can do saturated colours as well: I have just posted some in the I Like Film thread.

Paul look at this chart  :  contrast and sharpness Portra 800 are the same as Portra 160 but color saturation is better

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...   an example is in this poppies photo ;..   for beautiful red saturation with Portra 800 (photo not corrected) ... and  poppies are also for  Phil 😍

Leica M7-90 Apo Telyt 135 Asph + Tripod -Portra 800 dev in Tetenal and scan with Nikon CS 5000 with Nikon Scan Software (linear curve) > no Vuescan and no SilverFast needed

Best

Henry

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Doc Henry said:

Paul look at this chart  :  contrast and sharpness Portra 800 are the same as Portra 160 but color saturation is better

...   an example is in this poppies photo ;..   for beautiful red saturation with Portra 800 (photo not corrected) ... and  poppies are also for  Phil 😍

Leica M7-90 Apo Telyt 135 Asph + Tripod -Portra 800 dev in Tetenal and scan with Nikon CS 5000 with Nikon Scan Software (linear curve) > no Vuescan and no SilverFast needed

Best

Henry

Thanks, Henry. I ought to be more analytical about why I favour Portra 800 less. I agree that Portra 800 colours are more saturated, but I prefer the less saturated look - I find it more natural. 

This is a continuing exploration, so it's quite possible my opinions will become more nuanced!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Thanks 1

Anybody uses lomography 800? I found it very close to portra 800 give or take and when I transferred to my tank, i feel portra 800 is just as thin as lomography 800… 

I have never shot side by side, but if anyone does, it could be interesting

portra 800 seemed to have highest saturation amongst other portras, but when shot during daylight i prefer the 800.. but again it depends on the subject, it’s more landscape and street in my book