strap and lay of camera

lmans

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just have the cheap strap that Leica provided for the 246 monochrom (not sure why they opted for a cheap one), but when the camera is around my neck, I feel it doesn't quite sit well on my torso. It kind of turns down and when I have the EVF installed, it does even more it might appear. Anyone else experiencing that and will a better strap take care of that issue? jim

Straps, carry methods are shooting workflow are very personal and subject to tastes. And torsos also vary.  As do lens choices, with varying sizes and weights.  I put the Leica 14312 strap (recently discontinued) on all my M bodies, now including the MM and M10M.  But I carry body in hand or over one shoulder, never around neck, and only use the RF. Only way to really know is to experiment. 

Jeff

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Straps, carry methods are shooting workflow are very personal and subject to tastes. And torsos also vary.  As do lens choices, with varying sizes and weights.  I put the Leica 14312 strap (recently discontinued) on all my M bodies, now including the MM and M10M.  But I carry body in hand or over one shoulder, never around neck, and only use the RF. Only way to really know is to experiment. 

Jeff

The 42162 strap is another good choice.

Having bought pre-owned, I have never unboxed a new M Type 246 Monochrom, so am unfamiliar with what its original strap would be. A Leica 14312 is long enough for me to adjust to wear diagonally, over one shoulder, so that the camera hangs under the opposite shoulder. I used a 14312 to carry a Nikon Df this way, before I started using a Leica camera, and like the 14312 for Leica M cameras. I did find that the 14312 strap was too narrow to comfortably carry a larger DSLR. (I have settled upon the Peak Design Slide, for most larger cameras.)

I have NEVER liked hanging a camera in front of me, with the strap passing around the back of my neck, for more than brief periods of time, usually just when I am holding the camera, and simply want the strap to serve as a safety tether. (Safety against dropping/fumbling.) I use most binocular straps the same way, mostly worn diagonally. When a camera, or binoculars, hang directly in front of me, they tend to crash into things, especially if I twist or turn, and I tend to get a headache and/or upper backache, 

Edited by RexGig0

I have had a Harry Benz Vintage B strap on my M-P 240 for several years now.  I hardly ever use my EVF but when I have, the camera does not turn face down as you have experienced. 

I had Harry make my strap in 142 cm length for cross body wear.  This length puts the camera just above my right hip when I push it to the rear when it is not in use.  The strap itself is supple but does not stretch with age and use.  The Vintage B is comfortable and fits both me and my M-P 240 like a glove. 

I would highly recommend this strap:  https://www.harrybenz.com/shop/vintage-b

On 8/14/2022 at 7:28 PM, Herr Barnack said:

I have had a Harry Benz Vintage B strap on my M-P 240 for several years now.  I hardly ever use my EVF but when I have, the camera does not turn face down as you have experienced. 

I had Harry make my strap in 142 cm length for cross body wear.  This length puts the camera just above my right hip when I push it to the rear when it is not in use.  The strap itself is supple but does not stretch with age and use.  The Vintage B is comfortable and fits both me and my M-P 240 like a glove. 

I would highly recommend this strap:  https://www.harrybenz.com/shop/vintage-b

Nice....will have to look into Harry Benz....  I have never had the option of creating my own strap length so will do a bit of looking to see how to make this custom fit.... Thanks, jim

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A custom length strap never worked well for me, as conditions and my carry methods continually change… cross-body, over shoulder, in hand, over heavy clothing, over summer wear, etc.  I prefer a strap that can be quickly adjusted or removed, and/or flexible and compact enough to get out of the way when in hand or in bag.  The SL2 Benz strap that I bought (after months wait) was quickly replaced by a PD strap that not only was far more adaptable, but allowed longer lenses to lay flat against hip without complexity of strap hinge mechanisms (or Loctite for security) for the Benz design.  I’m sure his simpler M straps would have been more to my liking, but the Leica 14312 works well for me. Different strokes…

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

For years, I had standardized on simple cord straps for cameras in the M weight/size class. However, then Peak Design came out with their line of straps and the quick release buttons. Once I had tried that, I rapidly converted all my cameras to PD quick release buttons and bought a Slide Light and two Leash straps. I also picked up a Cuff wrist strap for those small cameras and such that have only one attachment point. 

They're not particularly stylish or wonderful looking, they just work brilliantly for all my equipment from cameras (small and large) to a variety of bags and tripods.. And they can be removed and refitted to any piece of equipment in seconds. 

That said: How an M or any other interchangeable lens camera hangs on a strap depends upon how you fit the camera to your body (around your neck, over your shoulder, 'cross-body' bandolier style) and what size/weight lens is on the camera. Different carry methods and different lenses mean adjustability in the strap, including how wide and how stretchy it is, is essential to get the fit right for any given photographer. 

G

• Like 2