Stuck frame counter unstuck

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a nice 1974 Leica M4 in black chrome. A few years back the shot counter stopped returning to zero on removal of the baseplate. It usually sticks at about 15, stubbornly refusing to go any lower. Clearly a CLA was required, but I've never got around to it, mainly since the camera works perfectly in every other respect. 

I just got used to this characteristic, and would try to remember that when I got to 36, I'd still have about 15 shots left.

Anyway, I finished a roll of film today, and decided to exercise the shutter a bit, just to get the oil moving around the gears. Ten shots at each shutter speed. I do this from time to time, but it's never freed off the shot counter. Today it did. I noticed, to my surprise, it had gone back to five after removing the baseplate. Fired and wound on the camera a bit more, and it reset to zero. And it keeps doing that now. Think I've fixed it. We all know that these old mechanical cameras like to be worked.

A tiny victory, but If it stays this way, it'll make the camera much nicer to use. I've seen others on here mention stuck shot counters on old M cameras, so thought I'd share this.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by colint544
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ve just got an M4-2 and the counter is stuck on the start position. I have fiddled about with the little feeler that knows when you take the bottom off the camera and resets the counter but that didn’t fix it. I don’t think the camera has been used for some time as the slow speeds are sticky as well. Fast speeds seem about right, developed a film from it yesterday. Not having a working counter is a bit like using a screw Leica when you have forgotten to reset the counter when you loaded it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

I’ve just got an M4-2 and the counter is stuck on the start position. I have fiddled about with the little feeler that knows when you take the bottom off the camera and resets the counter but that didn’t fix it. I don’t think the camera has been used for some time as the slow speeds are sticky as well. Fast speeds seem about right, developed a film from it yesterday. Not having a working counter is a bit like using a screw Leica when you have forgotten to reset the counter when you loaded it.

How annoying. Yes, it's a real fly in the ointment, not having an accurate indicator of remaining shots. Hope you can get it freed off. 

Incidentally, the film advance lever on your M4-2 looks like the beefier one from the original M4, wondering if it was perhaps swapped at some point.