UV/IR filter for Leica Summicron-C 40mm

gmaurizio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Heavystar have the E39-S5.5 adapter.  Very nice...so you can use 39mm filters and lenshoods on your C lenses.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/25-Discount-Adapter-Ring-Leica-E39-Filter-Summicron-C-S5-5-cap-/201775202339?hash=item2efabd4023:m:mVJB6ejAMmLYm-Zv9irQYPA

Picture shows the adapter (with an E39 IR/UV filter attached, and a rather nice after market hood I found, somewhere.

Much easier than grinding etc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some questions...

Are there any disadvantages in using this filter permanently on the M8?

I thought I noticed a little light loss.i

The thinner IR filter supposedly improves the pictures in B/W, so I thought about keeping it of when shooting B/W.

The only reason you put it on the M8 is in colour photography the magenta/purple colour and greens going yellowish because of IR contamination right?

So no need I would say?

Also, now with this IR cut filter installed, how does the M8 compare to other camera's out there?

Is it still more sensitive to IR or is it now like other digital bodies?

In my experience, IR-cut filters are mandatory for color works but not for B/W where improvements, if any, are a matter of tastes.

As far as i'm concerned, i just use IR-cut filters all the time with my M8.2. They've become normal protective filters for me on this body.

With those filters, my M8.2 is less sensitive to IRs than my M240 without filter.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Heavystar have the E39-S5.5 adapter.  Very nice...so you can use 39mm filters and lenshoods on your C lenses.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/25-Discount-Adapter-Ring-Leica-E39-Filter-Summicron-C-S5-5-cap-/201775202339?hash=item2efabd4023:m:mVJB6ejAMmLYm-Zv9irQYPA

Picture shows the adapter (with an E39 IR/UV filter attached, and a rather nice after market hood I found, somewhere.

Much easier than grinding etc.

attachicon.gifC 90 adapterfilterhood.jpg

But beware again. The thread on this adapter does not have the correct pitch either and it is Aluminium. I had to have this adapter removed by cutting from my Summicron C. However, it is made to such wide tolerances that some examples have an acceptable fit.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/15/2008 at 10:23 AM, Shootist said:

I have 2 of these lenses and a 39mm Leica filter does screw in part way and seems to fairly secure on both of them. As for a hood you could get a screw in 39mm and screw it into the filter.

The original hoods are almost impossible to get and I don't know of any aftermarket types that would screw into the threads of the 40C, at least no better then a 39mm filter does.

TIiffen 34 mm uv filter replaces perfectly the original Leitz series 5.5 uva  filter if you are using the original rubber hood for summicron-c 40

• 1 year later...

I’ve been reviewing and thinking about this thread for a while having recently purchased a Cron 40 and locating an IR cut filter solution. I was lucky that it came with a rubber hood so wanted to use that, my solution…purchase a 37mm IR Cut filter from Aliexpress, remove the lock ring from the filter, slot the glass into the Cron hood, gently sand down the lock ring and insert after the glass, re-fit hood…all done for $37 New Zealand…happy as Larry 

On 9/16/2007 at 3:37 AM, gmaurizio said:

Hi guys,

I have been using my old 40mm summicron-c from my old Leica CL. It proved to be an absolutely fantastic sharp little lens! It becomes a 52mm normal lens on the M8.

While a uv/ir filter is not absolutely needed, for many editorial shots it would be nice to have an uv/ir cutout filter. The 39mm does not actually fit comfortably, since both CL lenses are somehow unique birds.

Has someone found a suitable solution for this problem?

Thanks for dropping by...

I have been using the Summicron 40 C with a 39mm Leica or B+W UV/IR filter without issues for 10 years now. Just turn it gently until it is locked. Do not force it. Until now I never had it come off when I did not want it.

It is a great old lens and I love the 40mm FL. I had mine modified to bring up the 35mm frame. If you shoot on the inside, that rarely results in unwanted cropping.
On the M8 IMO shooting color really needs an UV/IR filter.

• Thanks 1

I used to drop the glass of a Leica UV/IR filter together with a rubber gasket into the hood of my Summicron-C 40/2, when i bought my M8.2, but i had to sand off the hood to fit the glass so i ended up using the whole filter with the hood screwed into it. I just refrain from screwing the filter too tight as it has not the same filter thread as the hood thread of the lens.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/16/2007 at 12:10 AM, ho_co said:

Standard Leica E39 filters have a 0.5mm pitch, but both the 40 C and the 90 C take a 39mm filter with 0.75mm pitch, or a series 5.5 held in by the lens shade.

Either could be made by B+W on request; may have other sources as well.

--HC

Any link to a filter that would work for my summicron 40mm?

I just use a standard E39. Be very careful to tighten it with just enough force. Too much and you ruin the thread, too little and the filter might come off.
It just takes 1,5 turn on mine. I have it on my M9 all the time and never lost the filter in more than 10 years.

Edited by dpitt
  • Thanks 1