Summicron 50mm v4 - crazy flare

lebanese blonde

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I switched many years ago from the 50 Summicron to the Summilux ASPH

The flare is something I see only in certain conditions. Which is almost never. 

What it gives me that the Lux ASPH lacks is more character. Plus is smaller and lighter too. 

Edited by Cthulhu

12 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

The flare is something I see only in certain conditions. Which is almost never. 

What it gives me that the Lux ASPH lacks is more character. Plus is smaller and lighter too. 

Having used both for many years, I prefer the Summilux.  And the Summicron sucks at f1.4.  Both fine lenses.  Options are good and plentiful.

Jeff

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

And the Summicron sucks at f1.4.

😂

Yea. I had fast lenses before but I never shoot at anything faster than f2.8. The summicron is the best all around 50 for me. 

The more character the more expressive I can be with the lens. The Summicron is like 3 lenses in one. Whereas the Summilux behaves more like a fast APO lens. Too much perfection, sharpness, contrast, etc etc. Too perfect. Although the Lux isn’t as clinical as some lenses to be fair. 

Leica M bodies love compact small lenses. The Cron wins for me any day and twice on Sunday. 

Edited by Cthulhu
  • Like 1

I am very happy with my v4 Summicron even if that unusual flare occured.

I really like the compactness and the image quality. Images are super sharp but do have a kind of vintage character / rendering to my eyes.

I just got a 35mm Summarit 2.5 and i do miss the character a little bit - but that`s another topic 😉