Summicron 50mm v4 - crazy flare

lebanese blonde

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

yesterday i tried to shoot some pictures of my wife in the garden and i got two pictures with a pretty strange flare. The sun was coming from the right top and did not hit the lens directly. The lens hood was attached.

I know that the v4 Summicron is not that good concerning flares, but i think i've never seen a flare with that kind of structure.

Does anybody know what this is and how to avoid it?

Thanks in advance! :) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Which camera are you using? I ask because there are strange artifacts in the flare that look like CCD sensor corrosion or perhaps oils stains?

Is there a color version of this image?

• Like 1

I'm using a M240 and unfortunately i've already deleted the RAW files. The flare looked the same in the raw file.

I don't think that there was a second source of light. I've already tried to check the lens with the smartphone led light and besides that i'm almost blind now i couldn't see anything in the lens / barrel that has that kind of structure.

Reflections off of sensors can cause some weird flares at time, and since this is a regular repeating pattern, that would be my first guess. I would also say that in most cases when I have had very bad flare from a modern Leica lens, it has been in conjunction with a filter...even a good one. So ditch the filters if you can. And of course, use a lens hood and keep you lenses clean and clear. If you still get flare in those circumstances, it is either bad luck or not the right lens for you. That said, this is bad scenario in general for lenses....backlit on an angle with the sun just out of frame... The benefit of digital here is that you can see it right away and correct for it. If it were me and this only happened once, I would just chalk it up to a freak occurrence and move on with my life.

• Like 2

The shape and rotation of the blob does not appear to be an ellipse centered on a ray passing through the axis of the lens -- it isn't symmetrical, nor is it square with the one hard shadow I see in the photo -- so I doubt this is lens flare. And the hatches in the blob are irregular enough to make me think this isn't a sensor reflection.

I can think of two explanations, although neither really satisfies me: a reflection from shooting through a window, or a light leak on a lens adapter.

• Like 1

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Jeff S:

I'd be more concerned about what it did to her face.

Jeff

😀

Thanks for your answers.

My wife didn't wear sunglasses or jewelry. I didn't use a filter.

I checked the sensor by eye and couldn't see any smearing / oil besides some minor dust particles.

If this doesn't happen again i think i will not investigate the problem any further 🙂

Zitat

Might be one for the paranormal investigators.

Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! :D 

Tested at f/2 with the sun just outside the frame. Disappears at f/2.8. (M11, 50/2 v4, f/2, no hood, no filter)

• Like 4

On 8/11/2022 at 12:56 AM, lebanese blonde said:

Hi,

yesterday i tried to shoot some pictures of my wife in the garden and i got two pictures with a pretty strange flare. The sun was coming from the right top and did not hit the lens directly. The lens hood was attached.

I know that the v4 Summicron is not that good concerning flares, but i think i've never seen a flare with that kind of structure.

Does anybody know what this is and how to avoid it?

Thanks in advance! :) 

Oh wow. No nothing like that. I have the Version “5” with the built in hood. 

I have noticed on 2 or 3 occasions that if the sun hits the lens from above front it gets something like on this review 

https://joerivanderkloet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/l1006834.jpg