Firmware update with login ID

Ba Erv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Ba Erv said:

Personally, I’m not interested in adding more outside technology dependence on my camera.  What I want is two firmware additions. #1. the user ability to enable/disable the camera with password protection.  #2. The ability to enable/disable image review on the internal memory.  

If someone steals or otherwise acquires the camera it’s useless without the password.  If someone tries to view the images they’re met with a disabled playback button unless they know a specific button push sequence.  The later being a priority.  

Being able to hand some border guard in Myanmar, Balkans, Ukraine, etc. an  SD card with pictures of cats copied from the M11 Imagery thread (satire) is a little less risky than photos of human rights abuses that embarrassment governments.  

I realize this is a pipe dream but it’s preferable to micro SD cards and Vaseline.

I think I'm finally understanding why this is so important to you. Do you know if any other another camera offers this type of security? If so I would strongly suggest switching brands. If not does your situation allow you to hire a guide/guard while working?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

I think I'm finally understanding why this is so important to you. Do you know if any other another camera offers this type of security? If so I would strongly suggest switching brands. If not does your situation allow you to hire a guide/guard while working?

Not any that I know.  As far as fixers go sometimes they attract more attention than the benefit might suggest.  I've looked at several options and most are either too costly or unwise.  I got out of a tight spot a few days ago and I'm gonna chill and think about future excursions.  Maybe I'll just take cat pictures from now on.

How about function that allows only to protect the photos a password and not the access to the camera? 

That way everything that you made a picture of can be made impossible to open in kind of RAW editing software...
Unless you know the password the photo will stay scrambled and unusable...
Uf course the RAW editing software must have the function / tool to unlock the photos and this should with camera manufacturer protocols...

I know it is stupid idea but still... :D 

Nikola

And we will soon have these threads.

"I keep missing the decisive moment. Each time I turn on the camera, I need to wait for the digital keyboard to appear and I have to enter the 12 digit passcode."

or

"What protector should I buy for my fingerprint reader?".

"Instead of the thumb print reader on the right, can we have it on the left?".

and

I forgot the passcode and now my camera is bricked. I am worried the Leica turnaround will be too long". 

"How to unlock the camera with my mobile phone?".

"My Wi-FI and Bluetooth are not working".

Das Westenliche!

Edited by rramesh
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, rramesh said:

And we will soon have these threads.

"I keep missing the decisive moment. Each time I turn on the camera, I need to wait for the digital keyboard to appear and I have to enter the 12 digit passcode."

or

"What protector should I buy for my fingerprint reader?".

"Instead of the thumb print reader on the right, can we have it on the left?".

and

I forgot the passcode and now my camera is bricked. I am worried the Leica turnaround will be too long". 

"How to unlock the camera with my mobile phone?".

"My Wi-FI and Bluetooth are not working".

Das Westenliche!

Repeat after me this mantra:  Das Wesentliche... Das Wesentliche... Das Wesentliche...

I do this every morning and evening when I go to meditate with my Leica...
The camera in one hand and the lens in other... :D 

Nikola

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, THEME said:

You seem particularly exposed.

Not everyone is using these cameras to take pictures of Nana with the grandkids at the park.  Nor, do I have a CNN satellite truck and security team.  I’ll spare the readers here any more lamenting. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

Not everyone is using these cameras to take pictures of Nana with the grandkids at the park.  Nor, do I have a CNN satellite truck and security team.  I’ll spare the readers here any more lamenting. 

No, but instead of contemplating electronic counter measures you might share some of your experience, what exposed you in the first place, what you learned from the robbery attempts, etc., of course without giving any location or name specifics. Could be helpful to fellow users who do use cameras in real life and for work.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!