Firmware update with login ID

Ba Erv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone have thoughts on a firmware update requiring a Login ID when the camera is turned on?  I had another camera theft attempt today and it started me thinking.  If Leica could add this to the firmware it might discourage theft and protect the images on the internal memory.  Someone might still steal the camera but it would be useless.

9 minutes ago, Ba Erv said:

Anyone have thoughts on a firmware update requiring a Login ID when the camera is turned on?  I had another camera theft attempt today and it started me thinking.  If Leica could add this to the firmware it might discourage theft and protect the images on the internal memory.  Someone might still steal the camera but it would be useless.

I head this idea years ago. You can also implement this in the lenses so when they are unmounted and mounted require password to work.
Even better, if you mount them on other camera than yours, before you need to pair them together, the lens will require password.
The password than can be imputed per LCD touch screen or some combinations of direction buttons...

This should be optional uf course for those who don't want  and need this...

Another idea is when someone steal your camera or lens and if he pair her with the Leica Fotos app the camera can transfer serial number to the app.
Next time when this person goes online the Leica Fotos app will send this serial number to the Leica.
If the camera is reported as stolen than Leica should report this to the police...
I am not sure if this could help somehow but this is still better than doing nothing about.
At least the police will know approximate location, country or if is GPS activated on the smartphone exact coordinates of the stolen camera...

But there is also personal data, info, location issue...
What do you think about this idea? Can this work?
Or should be even considered because of personal data, info, tracking of person, you know the rest...

Nikola

7 minutes ago, LEGEND said:

I head this idea years ago. You can also implement this in the lenses so when they are unmounted and mounted require password to work.
Even better, if you mount them on other camera than yours, before you need to pair them together, the lens will require password.
The password than can be imputed per LCD touch screen or some combinations of direction buttons...

This should be optional uf course for those who don't want  and need this...

Another idea is when someone steal your camera or lens and if he pair her with the Leica Fotos app the camera can transfer serial number to the app.
Next time when this person goes online the Leica Fotos app will send this serial number to the Leica.
If the camera is reported as stolen than Leica should report this to the police...
I am not sure if this could help somehow but this is still better than doing nothing about.
At least the police will know approximate location, country or if is GPS activated on the smartphone exact coordinates of the stolen camera...

But there is also personal data, info, location issue...
What do you think about this idea? Can this work?
Or should be even considered because of personal data, info, tracking of person, you know the rest...

Nikola

I would find that bad enough to sell all my gear if that sort of thing was implemented.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, idusidusi said:

I would find that bad enough to sell all my gear if that sort of thing was implemented.

Try assuming there’s an Enable/Disable option.

BTW, I’ll put you in the “Bad Idea” column.

Edited by Ba Erv

18 minutes ago, OThomas said:

🤔hmm maybe face detection in the viewfinder.

If you only use live-view.........

What is wrong with on purchase one takes insurance out? Keep in your camera bag printed receipts for stuff, or on a phone?

I certainly don't want to switch my camera on to have to do face recognition before I can take an image. Or even worse put in a pin number so I can change lenses. Give me old school insurance etc any day.

Let me fumble around to get ID to work on a job!

Oh no it is summer I am wearing polo sunglasses! face detect doesn't work.
I have to perfect picture... My hands are sweating, the Touch ID doesn't work.
I put the camera down to take of glasses. some one lift my camera and run away with it...

I take my other camera and run after the four legged creature that took my camera. 

My clients are still waiting for the perfect shot.

I lost my client, the camera is gone. and I am done.

I sit down at a caffe and get and ice coffee , my hand is wet and my phone can't unlock Touch ID to track my stolen camera.

I think this camera is going to end up separated from the lens and sold for parts. just like my car few years ago!

and you guys complain about that the camera doesn't start quick enough ! this is a stupid idea.

I rather use my equipment and don't baby it to much. if you can tell I am not a collector!

You can have first 3 attempts to make a selfie for biometric face detection... Like on smartphones, for camera be unlocked...
 If you shut down the camera or if the camera goes to sleep mode then the password lock will not be immediately activated.
This would be good for street photography or something.
You can perhaps, if you want to lock the camera, press some combination of buttons to get lock activated.
This for travel perhaps.... And all this could be adjusted as you wish in the menu settings... :D 

Nikola

30 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

Let me fumble around to get ID to work on a job!

Oh no it is summer I am wearing polo sunglasses! face detect doesn't work.
I have to perfect picture... My hands are sweating, the Touch ID doesn't work.
I put the camera down to take of glasses. some one lift my camera and run away with it...

I take my other camera and run after the four legged creature that took my camera. 

My clients are still waiting for the perfect shot.

I lost my client, the camera is gone. and I am done.

I sit down at a caffe and get and ice coffee , my hand is wet and my phone can't unlock Touch ID to track my stolen camera.

I think this camera is going to end up separated from the lens and sold for parts. just like my car few years ago!

and you guys complain about that the camera doesn't start quick enough ! this is a stupid idea.

I rather use my equipment and don't baby it to much. if you can tell I am not a collector!

Agreed completely

6 hours ago, Ba Erv said:

I think this would only make sense if its implemented industry-wide and publicized as a new feature in ads.

My thinking is this makes sense as a theft deterrent but not as punishment for a thief.

Posted (edited)

What about the idea to :

ask for a code to start-up the camera after N battery changes

+

a message displayed until the shutter is half pressed at (each) startup time on rear screen indicating that “the camera is code protected”

+

the option to activate this mode and choose the N value in the camera parameters menu

the possibility to reset the counter counting up to N to zero by entering the code (for example: I don’t want to be bothered today by this feature, so I reset the counter at the start of my important shooting day) ?

🙂

Edited by jcm0