CL - The Image Thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. Leica CL with Apo-Vario-Elmar-TL 1:3.5-4.5 / 55-135 ASPH (what a name for a lens....) @ 55mm.

That Sir, is a SUPERB shot of the memorial and it has further convinced me about getting the 55-135 as well as the 11-23 for my CL.. I have a MATE for the middle bits  ;) 

Lovely image.

Edited by Marac
  • Like 2

Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. Leica CL with Apo-Vario-Elmar-TL 1:3.5-4.5 / 55-135 ASPH (what a name for a lens....) @ 55mm.

Excellent picture and just adding that I enjoyed your review of the CL very much.

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Criss Cross - Yellow (and Blue) with the 18 f2.8

• Like 16

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Jono,

Any idea on what Leica's image stabilization strategy might be for APS-C cameras moving forward?

It seems so inconsistent that they recognized the need for OIS in the SL zooms but completely skipped it for the TL zooms...   contrary to eg.  Fuji who added OIS to 8 out of their 9 zooms...

For the already slow zooms the ability to gain 3-4 stops through OIS (or IBIS) could be a lifesaver in some circumstances.  I see it as a huge competitive advantage.

Thanks, Joris.

Hi Joris

Sadly I don't know about their plans for any image stabilised zooms - I think that the main issue is size (those stabilised Fuji zooms aren't small!). I guess it probably depends on how well the CL sells - there's clearly an argument for some faster zooms (which would inevitably be larger). 

Mind you, I haven't had much of a problem using the CL (and I'm used to IBIS on both the OMD and the X-T2).

Best

Another comment: expect to see a number of CLs going for repair to the battery door. It flaps open when you remove the card, you put it down on the table and - snap! (Not mine, yet). Not the greatest design.

Who in their right mine would do this? No matter what ALWAYS shut the battery/card door.

Hi Joris

Sadly I don't know about their plans for any image stabilised zooms - I think that the main issue is size (those stabilised Fuji zooms aren't small!). I guess it probably depends on how well the CL sells - there's clearly an argument for some faster zooms (which would inevitably be larger). 

Mind you, I haven't had much of a problem using the CL (and I'm used to IBIS on both the OMD and the X-T2).

Best

The 11-23 and 18-56 are fine when used outdoors.  It is mostly when used indoors that they would benefit from OIS to prevent having to resort to ISO values that are too high.  The 55-135 would IMO always benefit from OIS or IBIS.  Thanks, Joris.

• Like 3

Waiting for the winter... CL + 50APO-M.

• Like 14

ditto.

(Based on a little shooting around, I can only vaguely imagine what this sensor would be capable of on a full-frame, not to mention a medium format, sensor. I am impressed...).

• Like 8

Who in their right mine would do this? No matter what ALWAYS shut the battery/card door.

Well, it's similar to the Q and several other cameras.  I haven't heard of major problems.  But I know what you mean - I almost did that a couple of time.

- Vikas

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I am based in China and have ordered my CL I am curious as to how the SL lenses actually look on the CL (24-90 and 90-280) and wonder if anyone could post an image (unless there is one elsewhere on the site).

Many thanks

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I am based in China and have ordered my CL I am curious as to how the SL lenses actually look on the CL (24-90 and 90-280) and wonder if anyone could post an image (unless there is one elsewhere on the site).

Many thanks

Upon request... CL + 90-280mm at 110mm, ISO200. First (approximately) full frame, thereafter 100 percent crop. And yes, the SL-lenses work - as expected - very well on the CL  ;) .

• Like 14

100 % crop of the centre; the edges show similar sharpness/clarity, no problem at all.

The distance is somewhere between 500-600 m. The resolving power of the 90-280 lens (and the other SL-lenses) and the resolution of the TL2/CL-sensor indicate what we can expect from the next version of the SL and - likely - the S. Interesting times ahead - although the present MP-count is already very fine from my perspective/use. 

Edited by helged
  • Like 17

Reaching home before the downpour starts... CL + 75mm Lux-M at f2.8.

• Like 18

Hello all,

Many thanks

If you meant what they look like physically, rather than the results which helged has so ably demonstrated above, try 

http://camerasize.com/compact/#726.696,639.496,ha,t

this image shows two lenses that have a similar range on the two corresponding cameras, though the SL apertures are wider and the lens has image stabilization.

Image stabilization is useful, though I wonder if with something as l heavy and large as the SL and lens, the image stabilization isn't just compensating for my arms not being as steady ;-)

- Vikas

Edited by vikasmg
  • Like 2

If you meant what they look like physically, rather than the results which helged has so ably demonstrated above, try 

http://camerasize.com/compact/#726.696,639.496,ha,t

this image shows two lenses that have a similar range on the two corresponding cameras, though the SL apertures are wider and the lens has image stabilization.

attachicon.gifLeicas.jpg

Image stabilization is useful, though I wonder if with something as l heavy and large as the SL and lens, the image stabilization isn't just compensating for my arms not being as steady ;-)

- Vikas

Thank you Vikas. And to Helged for the images. I am tired of lugging around heavy camera gear and I believe the CL will be very useful. The 11-23 arrived today ahead of the camera which is due in another couple of weeks. The 24-90 looks an interesting option on the CL (don't shoot me down in flames; just thinking out aloud). The 35 1.4 is the lens that I want to get (11-23 was at a good price). 

• Like 2

• jaapv changed the title to CL - The Image Thread
  • jaapv pinned this topic
  • jaapv pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic