Help identifying this? (On my Summicron)

Junebat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Technically this is the LTM version of the collapsible Summicron (please let me know if there's a place dedicated to ltm lenses here/better to post, I haven't been able to find a place that seems correct!). I recently got a deal on this lens, and it's shockingly clean (no scratches!) aside from this little thing on the edge of the lens.

It looks a little weird to be Fungus, but maybe it is. I'd thought maybe it was some kind of separation but the images I found of that doesn't seem right. Any insight might be helpful in my determining how to proceed with it! (Aka whether there's anything I can do or not). Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

52 minutes ago, Junebat said:

Yeah I might as well send them an email and see what they say. 

‘Them’ is Don Goldberg (DAG). He’s busy, but there’s none better.  I usually call and determine best approach and best timing.

Jeff

In the interim I'm pretty sure you are aware that 'worrying - possibly - stuff' such as you have discovered, when so far across towards the edge of the lens, has practically no detrimental effect on images taken but, of course, it really does need to be addressed.

Good luck!

P.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not saying it's fungus, might be separation, of some foreign fluid getting in there.  Having said that:

Does anybody know if setting the lens out in the sunshine will kill the fungus, and stop its further spread?  I think it might, but I'n not sure...

The defect is probably fungus, not separation.  The collapsible Summicron has seven elements in six groups so, only one cemented pair and it is toward the rear mount end of the lens...so would not likely be visible from the front.

As others have said, in its present state, the fungus will have no effect on photos. If it can be successfully removed, DAG is a good choice to do it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BradS

Thank you everyone!

I think y’all are probably right (Thanks esp to Brad, that makes a lotta sense, I hadn’t been able to properly google what I’d need to see the elements groupings on this lens!) that this is likely some sort of a fungus. It looks weird, having often had more spidery/sinewy fungus, but I think that makes the most sense.

Also, yeah, I am not at all worried about it re: actual using the lens, as it’s right on the edge I can’t imagine it having an impact. I definitely would like to get it cleaned up at some point, especially as I am not sure that I need a pristine Summicron in my arsenal, and it might do better in some collector’s grasp (so as to fund future lenses for me ;) ). It also could use some TLC in other areas, as the person I got it from probably didn’t really ever use it, and the helicoid was a bit stiff at first. That all said, I’ve been really impressed with the one roll I’ve developed through this lens. 

And I will be sure to put future LTM lenses in that “historical” board. Seems kind of absurd there’s no LTM specific board, but I suppose I am in the minority of exclusively using and loving LTM lenses. I figured this was okay to post here since it’s an identical lens to the M-mount version at least. 

• Like 1

Well its not fungus. And by the look of the design its not in a location where it could be separation. One other possibility is a fault with the coating, perhaps due to poor initial application of the coating, or insufficiently well applied coating which is showing signs of failure over time, or perhaps damage to the coating due to condesation or the effect of exposure to a chemical vapour. Unless it is impacting on the images it produces I would leave alone and simply monitor it by periodically taking a photo like the one posted to check  whether it shows signs of getting worse. If it starts to then get it looked at. If it doesn't then I'd live with it and assume that its simply some damage which may well have occured in the past (poor application of the coating - vapour deposition) and that it isn't an ongoing problem

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pgk said:

Well its not fungus. And by the look of the design its not in a location where it could be separation. One other possibility is a fault with the coating, perhaps due to poor initial application of the coating, or insufficiently well applied coating which is showing signs of failure over time, or perhaps damage to the coating due to condesation or the effect of exposure to a chemical vapour. Unless it is impacting on the images it produces I would leave alone and simply monitor it by periodically taking a photo like the one posted to check  whether it shows signs of getting worse. If it starts to then get it looked at. If it doesn't then I'd live with it and assume that its simply some damage which may well have occured in the past (poor application of the coating - vapour deposition) and that it isn't an ongoing problem

Interesting! I’ll definitely send a note to DAG or YYe (I’m about to send YYe another lens to fix anyway) and report back here if I get any more info. Could end up being something I’ll just need to live with (but hope it’s something that can be cleaned up in case I end up wanting to sell the lens down the road).

• Thanks 1

Totally, delamination.

If you’re a photographed, just use it. No real world difference, or very little.

If you’re a fondler, then search for another sample.

People sometimes succesfuly can reglue these elements at home, sometimes not. Shops do this with varying results. All in all, you can use it as is for those rainy days, trips and drunk nights out. 

31 minutes ago, Junebat said:

I ..... hope it’s something that can be cleaned up in case I end up wanting to sell the lens down the road.

The only impact that I can see this would have is to marginally increase (veiling) flare except in rare circumstances when it is fully illuminated by very bright light entering the lens at an angle which strikes it. But you are right in that it could impact the lens's value, although I'd doubt that it would cause a dramatic change in value if the lens still produces good images. I use far, far worse condition lenses with perfectly viable results!

Are you talking about the few 'spots' at the top of the lens as shown, by the serial number?

I think some people are looking at the image and seeing what at first looks like fungus on the opposite side, but is in fact the reflection of a tree!

If the spots, no that's not fungus. Could be the first signs of slight separation/delamination, but give what and where it is I wouldn't worry about it.

The LTM section is the 'Historica' section, that covers all pre M period products. Lots of LTM threads (no pun) in there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Are you talking about the few 'spots' at the top of the lens as shown, by the serial number?

Oh absolutely! That's what I was looking at. I guess I should have circled it for clarity in case anyone misconstrued.

I only put one roll through it so far and haven't noticed any flaring. It shoots beautifully as far as I can tell!

8 hours ago, qqphot said:

Regardless of the crud at the edge that's still the cleanest front element of a collapsible summicron i've seen yet.

I sincerely was shocked to get this lens with the reputation these lenses have for being scratched (though I feel like that's something people say about all ltm lenses almost? Though I've never had a bad one). It's truly, aside from whatever this weird little stuff, is spotless glass. 

Edited by Junebat
Proof error

9 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

The lens appears to have a filter on in the picture, first take that off to get a better look. Any blemish around the edge will not affect any pictures taken stopped down from wide open. Just keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

Just fixed that for you!