Is there a book dedicated to Screw Mount Leica Cameras?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a screw mount Leica and as I enter the research phase of the purchase I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good resource which covers the history and evolution of the Barnack Leicas? My preference would be for a hardcopy book and unfortunately my only language is English. I would be grateful for any recommendations people may have.

Regards,

Commander D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here's a good one -currently for sale on Thriftbooks for a little over $9.

Hardcover Leica: The first fifty years Book

ISBN: 0852424167

Leica: The first fifty years

Empty StarEmpty StarEmpty StarEmpty StarEmpty Star
No Customer Reviews

No Synopsis Available.

Product Details
See All 3 Editions from $9.09

Selected

Format: Hardcover

Condition: Good

$9.09

2 Available

Quantity:

Dennis Laney's Leica Collector's Guide and the Pocket Books he did for the same publisher (Hove Books) have a lot of very useful information. Unfortunately they are out of print and the later editions usually go for silly money, especially the 2nd edition of the Collector's Guide. The 1st edition of the Collector's Guide is generally sensibly priced.

Paul-Henry Van Hasbroeck's 'Leica: A History Illustrating Every Model and Accessory' is another worthwhile book that can still be found for reasonable prices, though some sellers are starting to scalp on this one too.

The contemporary Morgan & Lester Leica Manuals published from the 1930s onwards are very informative, and surprisingly inexpensive. The 12th edition from the early 50s is particularly good for the screwmount cameras. Some earlier editions can be found on archive.org. These aren't just instruction books but a comprehensive treatment of the gear and its applications by expert authors of the time, running to hundreds of pages in hardback.

Leitz's own much more concise instructions are of course essential - PDFs, reprints and even the originals are readily available for the popular models.

Edited by Anbaric

1 hour ago, Anbaric said:

The contemporary Morgan & Lester Leica Manuals published from the 1930s onwards are very informative, and surprisingly inexpensive. The 12th edition from the early 50s is particularly good for the screwmount cameras.

I agree with the Morgan & Lester text (I've actually got the 13th edition that introduces the M3) - there's a good appendix - see attachments - only missing screwmount is the IIIg/IIg etc since it hadn't yet been released 

Edited by romualdo
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, romualdo said:

I agree with the Morgan & Lester text (I've actually got the 13th edition that introduces the M3) - there's a good appendix - see attachments - only missing screwmount is the IIIg/IIg etc since it hadn't yet been released

Sometimes supplements to these books turn up on ebay that bridge the gaps between editions - there's one for the 12th that covers the M3, and one for the 13th that covers the IIIg and M2. As well as adding coverage of the new cameras as they came out, they also substantially refreshed the 'guest' contributions, so it can be worth buying more than one edition (which was probably a sales tactic at the time!). The 12th had Ansel Adams on printing, Harold 'Doc' Edgerton on electronic flash, and articles by famous photojournalists like Alfred Eisenstaedt, Magnum co-founder Bill Vandivert, and Arthur Rothstein, etc.

11 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Sometimes supplements to these books turn up on ebay that bridge the gaps between editions - there's one for the 12th that covers the M3, and one for the 13th that covers the IIIg and M2. As well as adding coverage of the new cameras as they came out, they also substantially refreshed the 'guest' contributions, so it can be worth buying more than one edition (which was probably a sales tactic at the time!). The 12th had Ansel Adams on printing, Harold 'Doc' Edgerton on electronic flash, and articles by famous photojournalists like Alfred Eisenstaedt, Magnum co-founder Bill Vandivert, and Arthur Rothstein, etc.

Wow!! was not aware of these supplements - were they casebound or soft cover/pamphlets?

There's actually one for sale (12th edn) with the supplement on ebay now for a good price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325202641002?hash=item4bb796806a:g:0aYAAOSwNEtijS6F

Edited by romualdo

22 minutes ago, romualdo said:

Wow!! was not aware of these supplements - were they casebound or soft cover/pamphlets?

There's actually one for sale (12th edn) with the supplement on ebay now for a good price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325202641002?hash=item4bb796806a:g:0aYAAOSwNEtijS6F

I've only seen pictures of them, which look to me like stapled pamphlets.