Haunting eyes.

carl_valiquet

Very expressive. I can't quite tell if she looks angry. What was your impression?

What are your feelings about removing the dark tree trunk over her shoulder? It keeps pulling my attention from the young girl.

Regards, Brent

Edited by fotografr

41 minutes ago, MaticB said:

Touchy! I wouldn't say she is angry! It seems to me she feels your kind and honest attention, something she rarely experience in everyday life.

Touchy? I wasn't being critical, just asking an honest question. It's a beautiful portrait. 

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

Touchy? I wasn't being critical, just asking an honest question. It's a beautiful portrait. 

Oh, don't misunderstand me! You know, I am not native english speaker, and do not always chose the right word! With "touchy" I just want to emphasize how tender the whole image is, and I didn't comment your comment! I mean only the best of yours of which pictures I comment from time to time! 😊

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, MaticB said:

Oh, don't misunderstand me! You know, I am not native english speaker, and do not always chose the right word! With "touchy" I just want to emphasize how tender the whole image is, and I didn't comment your comment! I mean only the best of yours of which pictures I comment from time to time! 😊

Thanks for the explanation. I understand completely. It's so hard to know with internet communications.

Best Regards,

Brent

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fotografr said:

Very expressive. I can't quite tell if she looks angry. What was your impression?

What are your feelings about removing the dark tree trunk over her shoulder? It keeps pulling my attention from the young girl.

Regards, Brent

Hi Brent. Thanks for taking time to comment. Much appreciated. I think the girl was curious and intrigued. «This stranger talks to my grandfather and takes photos of me». Before returning, I offered her the scarf I was wearing around my neck and to her grandfather I gave my reading glasses because when I showed him the photo of him on the ground glass of the M9, he squinted and I am not certain he really could see up close. Their appreciation made my day. 

About your comment of the tree in the back. I can see your point. I personally think it creates some sort of tension and makes a visual frame between the girl and the baren background. ( very dry and almost no trees). I rapidly retouched out the tree ( I am not very good at this). Maybe better to retouch out the whole tree. See what you think. Regards. Carl.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaticB said:

Touchy! I wouldn't say she is angry! It seems to me she feels your kind and honest attention, something she rarely experience in everyday life.

Thank you for your comment. I personally think of this portrait I will make a large print and hang it in the photo gallery. A reminder of a touching ( to use your words) moment. And true, I gave her attention. I think children need this. Regards. Carl.

• Like 1

Hi Carl, Thank you for providing the back story. You did a very good thing by giving the girl such attention, along with the gift of your scarf. I'm sure you made a lasting memory for her and her grandfather. I do see what you mean about the tree creating tension in the image and your decision about whether to leave it in. As I look at the photo more, I see her expression as proud and confident rather than angry. Best regards, Brent

Edited by fotografr

5 hours ago, fotografr said:

Hi Carl, Thank you for providing the back story. You did a very good thing by giving the girl such attention, along with the gift of your scarf. I'm sure you made a lasting memory for her and her grandfather. I do see what you mean about the tree creating tension in the image and your decision about whether to leave it in. As I look at the photo more, I see her expression as proud and confident rather than angry. Best regards, Brent

Thanks for your words Brent. I do appreciate your comments and that you take time to respond. regards. Carl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Suuumm55 said:
a strong portrait, with or without a tree trunk -
this expression literally makes everything else disappear in the background

thanks Carl

And thank you Suuumm55. Your comment makes my doubts disappear. Really. Regards. Carl.

• Like 2

Am 8.8.2022 um 04:41 schrieb carl_valiquet:

I personally think it creates some sort of tension and makes a visual frame between the girl and the baren background.

Just what I felt; the tree adds tension and is a lead to the face of the girl. Without the tree, the picture would possibly be more "correct" in an academic way, but l would choose the version with the tree anytime.

Carl, great picture in the footsteps of the "humanistic school of photography".

Carl, this is again a very impressive portrait which I like a lot. To be honest, at the beginning I did not see the tree because this face had my full attention. I do not care about the tree, I am focused on the face. If I had to choose, I would prefer the original version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, benqui said:

Carl, this is again a very impressive portrait which I like a lot. To be honest, at the beginning I did not see the tree because this face had my full attention. I do not care about the tree, I am focused on the face. If I had to choose, I would prefer the original version.

Hi Benqui. Thanks for your comment. Last week, after «rediscovering» this image in my files and posting it in LUF, I made a large print on Hahnehmuhle paper: 60 cm x 90 cm of the original version. The print of the girl reminds me how priviliged I am to live in comfortable conditions. She lives in a village where the lower caste ( according to the caste system in India) people are living.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Just what I felt; the tree adds tension and is a lead to the face of the girl. Without the tree, the picture would possibly be more "correct" in an academic way, but l would choose the version with the tree anytime.

Carl, great picture in the footsteps of the "humanistic school of photography".

Thank you Klaus. Very encouraging words. Danke.

• Like 1